Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    During an elk trip i had a pack that had a removable fanny pack. I found it quite aggravating to always be shuffling stuff from the main pack to a fanny pack. There is a certain amount of gear I never leave camp without, and it was almost impossible to fit in the fanny pack. Not to mention the inability to take a load of meat out right away. Just my 2 cents, if it is even worth that

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I made the mistake once of taking a small day pack out for a day hunt from camp, found myself over a dead deer 3 miles from camp. Took three trips instead of two and from that day on I always carry my big pack cinched down. Not a huge problem but I wasn't a happy camper standing over that deer realizing the extra work I had in store just because I chose the small bag. A day hunt doesn't always mean a short distance hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Computer my main pack as a daypack

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    Compressibility in big packs is a valuable feature that most pack companies seem to be putting a lot of emphasis on.

These are identical Ultra 6000s, stuffed and compressed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigSurArcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Backcountry pack question: What do you do for a day pack?

I recently purchase do a kuiu icon 7200 and with just essentials it compresses really small. Big improvement over my eberlestock lo drag. Now I can
    haul meat back if need be with a way more sturdy and comfortable pack.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.
    Last edited by 7stwluver; 07-25-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: grammer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use SG Approach with Cabelas dry bags for the trip in. This might be a little heavier than the Approach plus Solo but its nice to have multiple bags when in camp. I keep food in one bag that can be hung in a tree away from camp if need be, one bag for clothes and one for camp essentials. Day use is the Approach.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I purchased the Kuiu Ultra 6000 this spring. Haven't had it on the mountain, just a few hikes around home, but looking forward to putting it to use soon on a scouting trip. Im very impressed with how well it compresses down for day mode.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    How does the Kuiu ultra 6000 work as a meat hauler? I love the idea of using it as a day back but then being able to pack some meat out. Does the bag come of the frame for hauling larger quarters of deer or does it fit right in the bag?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Many good posts, key point is to be prepared to haul meat/head/cape on initial run back to spike camp. I went to backcountry hunts in 2006 and from 06-10, I cinched my Badlands down and hunted with it. Since, 11, I am hunting 8 -12 miles deep, so I have horses arranged now, whereas I carry either a mid-size pack or a daypack, sometimes with a small pack frame that breaks down and can be assembled to pack my head/cape on my initial run back to my spike camp. I cant remember who makes the portable pack frame, but it is sweet once you get it put together. Last year, I packed my bull head/cape about 2 miles back to our spike camp using my brothers Badlands Sacrifice pack which is one of the upper mid size light weight packs. I just had a day pack with my meat bags, etc. This year, I finally drew a AZ tag, so going to carry a mid-size pack with the portable pack frame to bring head and meat out to our vehicle or camp on the initial pack out. Good luck on your hunt !

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by islandlaker View Post
    How does the Kuiu ultra 6000 work as a meat hauler? I love the idea of using it as a day back but then being able to pack some meat out. Does the bag come of the frame for hauling larger quarters of deer or does it fit right in the bag?
    A 6k cui. Bag will haul meat just fine

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator