Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 5 Posts
    That thought has crossed my mind. I have a brand new .45 cal barrel for it that only needs the breech plug, I may try that too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    New breech plug is on the way, $16 + shipping. Worst case I will be shooting a .45 cal this fall. Thanks for the input guys!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've got one of the same guns, kinda a POS if you ask me. Is there no way to use flat screwdriver socket on an impact wrench to pull it? Don't waste a lot of $ on it as you can by those guns for next to nothing these days. I had trouble with ignition on the factory plug so switched over to a CVA plug and it seem to do fine now with 777.

Not sure if it is really rusted in as the barrel and breech plug should be stainless.

Might be able to get a large easy out that would fit right into the primer pocket and get a bite. Another thought I had was driving a torx bit into the primer pocket. Something like a t-40 should be a pretty close fit. Or welding a nut to the plug. No matter what you do try to use and impact to do the removal instead of just a ratchet.

The idea of using heat and cold might work as well. Just remove the stock and scope and you should be able to get pretty aggressive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by okielite View Post
    I've got one of the same guns, kinda a POS if you ask me. Is there no way to use flat screwdriver socket on an impact wrench to pull it? Don't waste a lot of $ on it as you can by those guns for next to nothing these days. I had trouble with ignition on the factory plug so switched over to a CVA plug and it seem to do fine now with 777.

Not sure if it is really rusted in as the barrel and breech plug should be stainless.

Might be able to get a large easy out that would fit right into the primer pocket and get a bite. Another thought I had was driving a torx bit into the primer pocket. Something like a t-40 should be a pretty close fit. Or welding a nut to the plug. No matter what you do try to use and impact to do the removal instead of just a ratchet.

The idea of using heat and cold might work as well. Just remove the stock and scope and you should be able to get pretty aggressive.
    The gun may be a POS to you but it's does what I need it to do. It has only been shot about 40-50 times and is like brand new other than the breach plug issue. I had the plug removed for $40 a new CVA plug was $17 I'm pretty sure I can't buy a new "better" muzzle loader for $57 thank for the input though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    The gun may be a POS to you but it's does what I need it to do. It has only been shot about 40-50 times and is like brand new other than the breach plug issue. I had the plug removed for $40 a new CVA plug was $17 I'm pretty sure I can't buy a new "better" muzzle loader for $57 thank for the input though.
    I apologize. I didn't mean to be rude but that is the way I came across. To be more clear from my research this was not a terribly popular gun and it had some issues including barrels blowing up with heavy charges. I've had ignition problems and have had a couple of misfires while hunting which has caused me not to like the gun. Even getting primers in and out of these is fairly difficult compares to most other muzzleloaders I have shot. The stock also has a very cheap feel and from what I have read was never a terribly accurate muzzleloader. I've tried many bullets and have not found anything that will shoot terribly accurate in mine. Seems that is why the gun was not made for long and no other manufacturers copied the designs and also why they can be had for less than $200.

That being said you may have had a much different experience and really like the gun. Hope the barrel switch works out.

http://forums.huntingresource.com/to...-150-problems/
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/winchester_X150.htm

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No worries Okie. I know it's not the best one out there, but here in Oregon drawing a good muzzy tag takes 5-12 years so spending a bunch of money on something I rarely use wasn't in the cards when I bought it, still isn't. I would love the have the best equipment and weapons for hunting, but I don't and likely never will. I seem to do just fine with what I do have though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    No worries Okie. I know it's not the best one out there, but here in Oregon drawing a good muzzy tag takes 5-12 years so spending a bunch of money on something I rarely use wasn't in the cards when I bought it, still isn't. I would love the have the best equipment and weapons for hunting, but I don't and likely never will. I seem to do just fine with what I do have though.
    I hear ya. It has gotten ridiculously expensive to have top of the line gear these days. I still do just fine with my $20 wranglers instead of $300 Sitka/Kuiu/UA pants.

So what powder do you shoot out of your x-150? I tired Blackhorn 209 but never could get good ignition so I switched to 777 pellets and it works fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hear ya. It has gotten ridiculously expensive to have top of the line gear these days. I still do just fine with my $20 wranglers instead of $300 Sitka/Kuiu/UA pants.

So what powder do you shoot out of your x-150? I tired Blackhorn 209 but never could get good ignition so I switched to 777 pellets and it works fine.
    It's been so long since I shot it I cant remember off the top of my head, loose powder Pyrodex something or other. 209 primers are illegal here in Or so I use musket caps.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post

Typically....95% of the reason you aren't getting good ignition with BH209, is because of the design of the breech. The other 5% is not using a hot enough primer. The best primers I've found are RIO brand. Followed by the Winchester (blue box). BTW, make sure you're using actual shotgun primers if you're trying the BH209.

Glad you got the plug and barrel lined out!!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Typically....95% of the reason you aren't getting good ignition with BH209, is because of the design of the breech. The other 5% is not using a hot enough primer. The best primers I've found are RIO brand. Followed by the Winchester (blue box). BTW, make sure you're using actual shotgun primers if you're trying the BH209.

Glad you got the plug and barrel lined out!!!
    I tried the factory breech and a CVA breech and never could get the blackhorn to ignite. Tried several primers and never could get it to work. But the same primer and breech plug in my CVA accura shoot every time. I'm not sure what the problem is but when I switched to 777 pellets I have not had a problem. I still shoot the blackhorn in my other muzzleloader and it works great.

I didn't have any problem with my barrel or breech plug. That was the OP.