Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

M/L Breech Plug problem

Hey guys, I have an issue. I have Winchester X-150 muzzle loader. The breech plug has been stuck in it for 2+ years and it aint comming out! I've tryed everything but a machinist, which is the next step. The one that's in it is going to be destoryed in the removal proccess. The problem is I am having a tough time finding a new breech plug. I believe it is the same breech plug as the CVA #11 but not 100% sure. No one around here sells the CVA plug so I will have to order it. Anyone here ever deal with the same issue?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Man O' man that's a problem. I don't have any experience with that ML. I hope you can get it lined out. Have you tried applying a little heat via a butane torch to the breech?
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Is it rusted in? Was it not cleaned after shooting it? I have had mine get stuck before even though it was cleaned and had anti seize on it and had to put it in a vise and get a socket and breaker bar on it. I got a round brush to clean the threads and have not had any problem since.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It must not have been cleaned well enough. I haven't shot it in 7 years. A friend of mine used it last 4-5 years ago and I didn't try to remove it till a couple years later. It doent have a socket type head on it, it's just a notch that a key tool fits in to spin it out. The notch is stripped badly now so no way the tool will work. It's going to have to be drilled and possibly an EZ out will work. If not it will have to be drilled to the threads then cleaned up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've tried heat and all kinds of pentrating oils, the last thing I tried was soaking it in ATF... for a year.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im not familiar with this ML. Is it a bolt or break action? Is the back of the BP pretty exposed? If it had enough room I would weld a nut on it and get an impact gun on it. I have dug alot of broken bolts out that way.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No way to weld one on MM, that does work!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll tell you a trick we used to use in the aerospace business. Extreme cold. We used liquid nitrogen, the extreme cold actually shrinks the metal. I know you probably can't get any LN, but this works pretty good instead. Add several oz of alcohol to the barrel and add dry ice chips. After this soaks for awhile, empty everything out and add heat from a propane torch. The contraction/expansion might do the trick.
    It is probably a given that the plug will be destroyed while your are trying to get it out, regardless of the method. Have you contacted Winchester or Brownells to see about a new one? Call CVA and ask out theirs as a replacement. A machinist can remove it and chase the threads pretty easily.

Good luck.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That sounds like a great trick CC. I wish I would have known that one before I stripped it, it's beyond repair already. Calling the gun guys is on my list of to do's today. Thanks for the input!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Muzzle loaders are pretty cheap these days.... I think I would start over if it were me. By the time you pay a machinist or gun smith you will have likely spend half the cost of a new gun.