Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by okielite View Post
    I tried the factory breech and a CVA breech and never could get the blackhorn to ignite. Tried several primers and never could get it to work. But the same primer and breech plug in my CVA accura shoot every time. I'm not sure what the problem is but when I switched to 777 pellets I have not had a problem. I still shoot the blackhorn in my other muzzleloader and it works great.

I didn't have any problem with my barrel or breech plug. That was the OP.
    I know it was the OP that had problems.

My friends optima with CVA breach wouldn't fire the BH209. That's just strange.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I've been shooting BP in Cowboy Action Shooting for 10 years and 1000yd single shot for 5 or 6 years longer than that. I use real BP or APP (American Pioneer Powder). I also use Goex (real BP) in my M/L I use for elk. These old standbys shoot really well, no reason to use anything else. Was out to the range yesterday and shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds using Goex, standard 209 shotgun primers and Thor bullets.

Just sayin................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've been shooting BP in Cowboy Action Shooting for 10 years and 1000yd single shot for 5 or 6 years longer than that. I use real BP or APP (American Pioneer Powder). I also use Goex (real BP) in my M/L I use for elk. These old standbys shoot really well, no reason to use anything else. Was out to the range yesterday and shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds using Goex, standard 209 shotgun primers and Thor bullets.

Just sayin................
    Do you have to clean the barrel often?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by okielite View Post
    Do you have to clean the barrel often?
    I shoot a 10 stage match with a sxs shotgun, lever action M73 Win and a pair of Ruger SA Revs. This is usually 100 shot with the rifle, 50 with each pistol and 40 or so with the shotgun. I only clean them after the 2 day match. I do spray the actions occasionally with a 50% solution of water & Balistol. In the SS rifle match I usually clean the barrel after about 10 shots. I my M/L I swab the barrel after 3 or so rounds.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    No way to weld one on MM, that does work!
    You be surprized the things I can weld! Did you get it out?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    You be surprized the things I can weld! Did you get it out?
    It's out, I put it all back together last night and plan on burning some powder this weekend.

7. The Following User Says Congratulations to Timberstalker For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I'll tell you a trick we used to use in the aerospace business. Extreme cold. We used liquid nitrogen, the extreme cold actually shrinks the metal. I know you probably can't get any LN, but this works pretty good instead. Add several oz of alcohol to the barrel and add dry ice chips. After this soaks for awhile, empty everything out and add heat from a propane torch. The contraction/expansion might do the trick.
    It is probably a given that the plug will be destroyed while your are trying to get it out, regardless of the method. Have you contacted Winchester or Brownells to see about a new one? Call CVA and ask out theirs as a replacement. A machinist can remove it and chase the threads pretty easily.

Good luck.
    I like the thought behind this idea. My only question would be, would this change the temper of the steel on the barrel at all? To me, doing something like this on a gun would make me nervous to shoot it the following time, as I would wonder if the steel would be more brittle. Just asking out of curiosity more than anything else.

Like Hilltop said though, I would seriously just consider a new muzzleloader, especially if you end up going the machinist route. By the time you pay him and order a new breech plug, you'll be at least half way to a new muzzleloader.

Either way, good luck and let us know how you make out. It is always good to find out new ways of removing stuck breech plugs.
    Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com & www.WaderUSA.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's out, I put it all back together last night and plan on burning some powder this weekend.
    I was shooting mine last weekend and noticed what I think the problem is with ignition. If you screw the factory breech plug all the way in there is space between the primer and the bolt face. The pin still hits and fired the primer but the primer will move backwards and some of the blast escapes the breech plug and exits around the primer. You will probably notice a spot on the bottom of the scope where the reside collect. Obviously the loss of pressure causes less "fire" to pass through the breech plug and ignite the powder. Seems to be fine if I dont' thread the breech plug in all the way. Something to keep in mind with the design of the gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    I hope you used plenty of NeverSeize I have a knight BK92 and didn't apply any anti seize and had to spend a lot of time trying to get the breech plug out. It scared the hell out of me and learned my lesson.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    I applied the lube on the new plug. It shot well for what it is 3" group @ 70 yards with open sights.