Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts

How does weather change arrow flight?

Ok, so we all know wind will push an arrow, but how does an arrow perform in humid conditions vs. dry? How about low altitudes vs. high altitudes? Any other weather changes that change arrow flight? Hot to cold?

I'm thinking low altitudes or high humidity will have "thicker" air and push the arrow down. High altitudes or low humidity would help the arrow fly better. Any ideas on this? I was shooting my bow today after a rain where the humidity was 80% or better and was hitting consistently low... I don't think it was me because I was shooting dead on and haven't changed anything lately.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 4 Posts
    I seem to hit low when it is raining, I always just thought that the extra weight from the rain drops on my arrow and veins was enough to weigh it down a little and make me hit low. Never really thought about atmospheric pressure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Usually when you go up in elevation the arrow will hit high because as you said, the pressure isn't on the arrow like lower elevations. I know some people have to either adjust the sights or turn the bow down a lb or two. Personally I haven't run into this yet in the high country but I know it exists. Just aim for the heart is all I do. And it's all cloudy and thunderstorms going on here right now, and I was hitting low. Maybe it's not just me because it was dead on.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Over the years I have checked out the difference with my bows between right at sea level on up to 10500 ft. And there is quite a difference. In fact depending on the humidity it can be almost +4" @ 30yds. To me that is quite a bit of difference.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    My blood pressure seems to make my arrows fly high
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to admit, I have never given it much thought, but it makes sense that altitude and humidity would affect arrow flight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    id like to hear more on this, great topic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 3 Posts
    The reason I'm asking these questions is because I am in Kansas at about 1300' elevation. I'll be hunting in NW NM for elk in September and am just wondering how much my setup will change between the two locations. It will we low humidity and high elevation (8000-9000) in NM, so I'm thinking that moving from medium to high humidity and low elevation could be a relatively big jump. The other day when I was shooting, the relative humidity was roughly 80% which is about double what it normally is. I was hitting about 4-5" low at 50 yards which I thought was pretty extreme, but maybe that is how much it gets effected.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I wonder if the humidity factor is also affecting your string (could be both the physics of the arrow passing through more water vapor in the air in addition to the string). I am new to archery but I always heard water is your string's worsed enemy but we don't just pack up and quit hunting when its raining or when it's humid.

I'm with ivory on this one; great topic, looking forward to seeing more from folks that have had the opportunity to bow hunt over an array of environmental conditions.