Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

What broadhead makes the best blood trail for white tails?

I just bought a new bow and am going to fully equip it with new add on's arrows and broadheads just wondering what kind of broad head would be my best choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 4 Posts
    Well Mn that's a pretty "broad" question! I would say whichever one you put through the old pump station will give you a good blood trail. As for me I have shot Toxic's and G5 T3's and have had great blood trails. Be sure to read up on your states broadhead regulations.
    Last edited by jjenness; 08-04-2014 at 09:48 PM.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 73 Times in 8 Posts
    I shoot a cabelas brand expandable and have never had a "bad" blood trail. So much of the blood trail depends on where the shot hits. I have taken whitetail with 7 different brands of expandables and three different fixed blades. I shoot expandables now because I don't have to change anything on my bow when I switch to broadheads. The expandables fly exactly like the field points. My "best" blood trails were when I had a lower lung shot with all brands. My worst were higher further back liver/lung shots....but they were still very easy to follow with all brands.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I would echo what the other two gentlemen said about the location of the hit being the most important part. To me that means getting your arrows/bow/broadheads tuned as well as you can. I think you have two options when it comes to easier to tune broadheads, expandables or the newer short profile fixed blades. Both of these options are going to steer the arrow less, and will be more forgiving when it comes to tuning. The other very important factor in bow tuning is that an arrow that is not flying true, will lack penetration as the energy stored in that arrow will not be focused behind the point, and will result in wasted energy.

I do not shoot expandables, and it is not because I don't think they are effective, I just like the KISS concept (keep it simple stupid). When I have shot expandables in the past I dealt with blades deploying in my quiver; which didn't inspire confidence for me. That being said, if I were to try and expandable again, the only one I would look at would be the Ulmer Edge. It seems like a really solid design, as simple as an expandable gets, and easy to practice with. I am personally uncomfortable with any blade that slides in the body of the head, I am sure they work, I just don't trust it.

For short fixed heads I would reccomend the Slick Tricks, Shuttle T's, and just recently I switched to the QAD Exodus (there are other good ones I am sure, but I have personal experience with these three). All three of these heads have performed great for me. I have killed multiple animals with STs and Shuttle Ts, and if the early results with these QADs are any indication they are going to be very deadly and accurate. I have had very good luck tuning all three of these heads, I have tested them side by side and there is zero change in the point of impact between the 3 of them and my field points.
    Last edited by mnhunter; 08-05-2014 at 09:46 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    The head that makes your arrows fly straight, and pokes a hole through both lungs will leave some pretty good blood trails. I do like expandables on white tails.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been using the Montecs, but the slick trick standard 100 are flying perfect out of my bow. Not to mention they are a lot cheaper than the Montecs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bwht4x4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any sharp broadhead thru the boiler room will make a good blood trail but the best blood trails ive had came from expandable heads. Ive used a lot of different heads I really like the NAP Spitfire maxx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RUGER M77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    I live in IL and here it seems that Rage are the broadhead of choice for blood trails. I'm not a fan of expandables and I have great results with Slick Tricks. I just don't see the advantage that others do I guess.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shootist For This Useful Post: