Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks hilltop. I guess it's like top atheletes, they never stop training even after they win some sort of championship and yeah, why not try to stick some small game? Honestly, that hadn't occured to me I was so focused on deer. Not only could it make a great camp supper, you're getting real world archery practice too!

I will keep at it and once those groups start to get within a couple inches at 40, you bet I'll post pictures. I will be so excited I will HAVE to share it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Shoot at a distance that you are comfortable with. I practice out to 100yds but wouldn't shoot a animal past 50yds. In fact the furthest I have shot a elk was 40yds and most of them have been sub 20 yds. Patience my friend!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    There is absolutely some great info here and I too practice at 75 yds plus. But, I've never taken a shot at an animal longer than 28 yds with my bow enen though I have set my personal limit at 40 yds given the right condititons.

Obviously, each person is going to have there own maximum effective range based on there own abilities and comfort factor. But, my question is what does everyone use to judge themselves by if there max range is 30 or 50 or 70 yds? Arrow group size during practice? What is acceptable?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Work2hunt, that is a great post and really looking forward to the responses on how to guage effective range.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    There is absolutely some great info here and I too practice at 75 yds plus. But, I've never taken a shot at an animal longer than 28 yds with my bow enen though I have set my personal limit at 40 yds given the right condititons.

Obviously, each person is going to have there own maximum effective range based on there own abilities and comfort factor. But, my question is what does everyone use to judge themselves by if there max range is 30 or 50 or 70 yds? Arrow group size during practice? What is acceptable?
    I believe a person has to set their maximum range based on personal confidence in ability and the individual situation when the shot is presented. I have to KNOW I can make the shot or I don't take it. If you have a doubt, then you likely shouldn't shoot. For example, when I practice 100 yards I'm never confident I can hit a vital zone on my target every time. I still try but realistically I'm not good enough to do it. I can however hit it every time at 50 yards... I am confident if I get a shot inside of 50 yards I will make it and cleanly take an animal. That said, in some situations I may pass on shorter shots due to high winds or a nervous looking animal.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Okay, so here are some pics shooting my bow using some of the advice you guys gave me on this thread; shooting from a kneeling position, wearing the gloves I'm going to hunt with. The first is at 40 yds and the susequent 2 are my first at 50 yds. The arrow on the 40 yd pic that seemed to fly right is a broadhead, still working on that...whole nother can of worms.

Now that I am getting more comfortable at these longer distances, I'm going to start shooting up and downhill at 20 and 30 yds (my hunting ranges) from some of those little rises.

Just wanted to let y'all know that I am listening and practicing...all the feedback I'm getting from this form is not in vain and it is much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Group_40yds_071814.jpg   Group_50yds_071814.jpg   Group_50yds2_071814.jpg  

9. The Following User Says Congratulations to micropterus79 For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Those look like great groups. Good job!
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

11. The Following User Says Thank You to velvetfvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Your shooting better than me Micro, I'm still working on it. My max range right now is 30. If thats all it is in September I will be ok with that, it's been that way for decades, I just must not be a good archer? I really don't know how you guys shoot 100 yards, my arrows would be gone in the first set.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well timber, I am going out knowing that 30 is my max too; and that is only under PERFECT conditions. I started this post because I wanted a number, a limit, before I even hit the woods so I could be mentally prepared to pass up shots and I wouldn't dream of shooting at 100 yds. Way too much can go wrong for me, even if if I was just target shooting

Also, for full disclosure, those are the first three groups I shot yesterday and trust me, the groups got wide. In fact, I had two total target misses heading into my 5th or so group at 50. Thats when I packed it up for the day!

One thing that has been intresting to me shooting these longer ranges is I get fatigued much more quickly because I have to hold for longer and it just takes more brain power to line everything up.

What do you guys do to builid up your stamina for archery?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Micro,
    First, nice groups. I wouldn't complain about those one bit.

Second, IMHO groups are nice to see how you repeat from shot to shot, but I ultimately only care about one shot groups and really only care about the first shot. There is a lot of days I'll only shoot one arrow at a time every hour or so. I'll just grab the bow and shoot that one arrow to better see how I will shoot when cold.

Stamina is nice to build up and you can do that by shooting your bow or there is some weight exercises you can do to built those muscles up but I prefer to just shoot my bow. But like I said I am ultimately concerned with one shot and that is the first shot.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post: