Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts

Whitetail pattern

So I have been out hanging trail cams and scouting a lot this year and found a couple really nice deer where i will have some stands and have watched the deer in the evenings going from beds to feeding areas but tonight I checked out a different area and bingo watched a huge whitetail with three other bucks but was a little curious about where they came from. They were in an area that just had a few brush piles on a hill side not much cover at all, then I watched them cross a hi way and follow a creek bottom and I'm guessing they were heading up in an area to feed. My question is do u think those deer will stick some what close to that route and head back across hi way to bed all the time with not much cover?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I would say most bucks are on summer feed pattern right now. They will likely stay on that, if left undisturbed, through the first week or so in September. Then their testosterone levels start to increase quickly and their pattern can become a little more erratic. Trail cameras and long distance scouting should be your approach leading up to bow season. Try to have sets for different winds if possible so you can take him as early as possible before the pattern breaks. Many bucks fall range is miles away from their summer range so you may not see him again once he rubs his velvet... good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All of our Whitetails that we are watching currently do the same thing almost day in and day out. Like 80-90% consistently. That all changes here around the 2nd week in September. They split up and the patterns go to H3!!.....
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Thanks guys I hung a trail cam after work yesterday so will see what happens if I get that big boy on camera I will post a pic

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have found it pretty common to see velvet bucks in a little more open terrain, but once it strips off those bachelor groups are going to break up and the pattern changes. I think this is due to a couple of things.

1. their antlers are sensitive and runnign them through the brush is not fun.
    2. bugs are bad in the woods and out in the open there tends to be more of a breeze.
    3. They are conditioned that this time of year there are no hunters, so they can let their guard down.

You might be able to catch them in this pattern the first week of archery season, but if their patterns hadn't switched by then it will really soon. I would get on google earth and try and pick out some likely heavy cover close to food and water in the area and watch it to see where their pattern shifts. I might stay out of it with a camera, unless you think you can get in and out without spooking them, or leaving scent. Glassing would probably be best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    Thanks guys I hung a trail cam after work yesterday so will see what happens if I get that big boy on camera I will post a pic
    Sweet....and yea, post us a pic!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Best thing about scouting now is if things don't pan out in an early season chances are good a cpl of them will be back on the same pattern after rut. Whitetail don't need a whole lot of cover to feel hidden, some of the older bucks will find a spot where they can get up throughout the day to feed and never leave a spot < .25ac, then get up to roam at night.