Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 77

Thread: Wolves

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    56
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A few years ago a video was floating around, supposedly taken by a CO DOW employee, of a presumed wolf up in the Craig/Steamboat area. I never heard anything more about it.
    Also, a few years ago, they started using night time sharpshooters to cull elk in Rocky Mountain NP. We go up there every year in early September for a long weekend so my wife can see the elk bugling as well as look for moose, and I would say there has been a noticeable decline in elk numbers in the park. They also seem to be a little more shy about coming out of the timber (sometimes).
    It really bugs me that they wouldn't open up some kind of hunt in there, but the sharpshooters are a way better option to wolf introduction (to my mind anyhow).
    It also really bugs me to see any kind of wildlife hit on a road, but I've gotta say I wasn't entirely unhappy about those couple that showed up here getting run over.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I saw a news story that a women took a picture of a wolf in RMNP and sent it in to the local news channel with a story of how she saw it. When she saw the story on the news, the picture was all blury and the news channel said that a local expert said that it could be anything because it was a bad photo. The lady called into the news channel and said that photo was not bad and had been purposely blurred before it went on air. She has the original photo and she is not sending anymore photos to the press. This sounds like a coverup to me. They are here and not just a handfull!

  3. #13
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    935
    Thanks
    53
    Thanked 501 Times in 194 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 9 Times in 5 Posts
    Bkc could you put us in contact with her? We would love to cover the whole story.


    Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,485
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 380 Times in 289 Posts
    Congratulations
    5
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
    Also, a few years ago, they started using night time sharpshooters to cull elk in Rocky Mountain NP. We go up there every year in early September for a long weekend so my wife can see the elk bugling as well as look for moose, and I would say there has been a noticeable decline in elk numbers in the park. They also seem to be a little more shy about coming out of the timber (sometimes).
    It really bugs me that they wouldn't open up some kind of hunt in there, but the sharpshooters are a way better option to wolf introduction (to my mind anyhow).
    If the NPS wasn't so stupid and run by nonhunters, they would realize how much $$$$they actually could make auctioning off 50 to 100 elk tags to cull them there. They hide behind "we can't hunt in a NP". Hell if the President can make executive orders for the stuff he has done, he sure could allow hunting for population control there. Just wishful thinking....never happen!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:


  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    blackfoot,idaho
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 115 Times in 100 Posts
    Congratulations
    11
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    If the NPS wasn't so stupid and run by nonhunters, they would realize how much $$$$they actually could make auctioning off 50 to 100 elk tags to cull them there. They hide behind "we can't hunt in a NP". Hell if the President can make executive orders for the stuff he has done, he sure could allow hunting for population control there. Just wishful thinking....never happen!
    amen CC. amen

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Several years ago in August the ranch right east of where we hunt on the west side of the BigHorns in Wyoming had 40+ sheep killed on one night by a pack. I met the Father of the government trapper called in on the case, as he is a friend of a friend. His boy tried to trap them and ended up killing 3 from the air and he thinks there were 5 more that got away. One of the 3 he shot had a collar that was put on by the feds way up in Montana north of Yellowstone Park. A year later when my buddy and I were doing some fence work in September on fences of the adjacent ranch where we hunt we found a fresh track in the mud that without a doubt was made by an adult wolf. There was never any media coverage of that pack and it has been kept very quiet other than the locals that know about it. Several of the outfitters up in the NF say they've seen and heard an occasional wolf up in the mountains, but authorities will not admit that they are branching out from the Yellowstone ecosystem to other areas hundreds of miles away like that.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-13-2014 at 06:04 PM.

  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    736
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 156 Times in 146 Posts
    Congratulations
    8
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Several years ago in August the ranch right east of where we hunt on the west side of the BigHorns in Wyoming had 40+ sheep killed on one night by a pack. I met the Father of the government trapper called in on the case, as he is a friend of a friend. His boy tried to trap them and ended up killing 3 from the air and he thinks there were 5 more that got away. One of the 3 he shot had a collar that was put on by the feds way up in Montana north of Yellowstone Park. A year later when my buddy and I were doing some fence work in September on fences of the adjacent ranch where we hunt we found a fresh track in the mud that without a doubt was made by an adult wolf. There was never any media coverage of that pack and it has been kept very quiet other than the locals that know about it. Several of the outfitters up in the NF say they've seen and heard an occasional wolf up in the mountains, but authorities will not admit that they are branching out from the Yellowstone ecosystem to other areas hundreds of miles away like that.
    Question....can you shoot a wolf in the area that you hunt? Just curious what the regs say about that when you're outside of the "wolf zone"
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

    "Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Gillette, WY
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    318
    Thanked 92 Times in 83 Posts
    Congratulations
    37
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.pinedaleonline.com/wolf/ I think this has been brought up before, but this wolf watch from Pinedale, WY has a lot of good information on the subject. Its pretty interesting. I guess with the zoo that is Yellowstone with all the people, hunting would be tough, but like an archery backcountry hunt could help raise some money and do some population control. The National Elk Refuge allows hunting. Maybe it was a trial to see how it would work. Its pretty heavily regulated and watched, so something like that might work at Rocky Mountain. Might have to hide the animal so that people don't freak out seeing a whole elk strapped to the top of your car like that one picture. I don't know.

    That is a tough loss Topgun. I still its really cool that you help out on the places you go to hunt. I don't know why they deny that the wolves are established in the Big Horns and other places, it doesn't do any good other than make people wonder what else they are hiding. I need to get a snowmobile so I can chase one down this winter maybe. No license needed there. I actually thought I saw one trotting around the grasslands south of Gillette a couple weeks ago. I couldn't be sure it wasn't a dog, it was kindof far away, but it sure looked like a big black wolf.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 07-13-2014 at 06:23 PM.

  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The high plains of Colorado
    Posts
    593
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 60 Times in 54 Posts
    Congratulations
    4
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Bkc could you put us in contact with her? We would love to cover the whole story.


    Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator
    Sent you a pm

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Question....can you shoot a wolf in the area that you hunt? Just curious what the regs say about that when you're outside of the "wolf zone"
    Yes! There are two zones in Wyoming. One is the trophy zone that is over on the west side of the state and there are numbered units that have seasons and quotas that can't be exceeded. Everything else in the state that shows in white is the predator zone and they can be shot on sight with no license required. All the G&F wants is for you to call them to advise of the kill and where it was. I would love to wack one of them if I ever see them where we hunt, but there are so few and they are so smart that it's very doubtful it will happen. You never know though, as I've seen a bull moose when there aren't supposed to be any and 2 cougars that are supposed to be in decent numbers, but are also very seldom seen. Click on this link and you can see the numbered units in red where you have to have a license:
    http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRD...S_CH47_MAP.pdf
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-13-2014 at 06:58 PM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •