Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    4 years ago we were elk hunting in the Uncampagre (sp) in Colorado. The guys next to us were from Minnisota. They told the DOW people they had sighted 3 wolves while they were hunting. They told us about it. We ask the DOW agents that came by our camp about it. They said those guys don't realize how big the coyotes are around the area.

When we ask the Minnisota guys about it later they just laughed. Their response was "We have wolves in Minnisota. We know what a wolve looks like".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I was bow hunting elk 90-100 miles North of the Colorado boarder in the Laramie range last year and heard 2 wolves howling to each other from one ridge to another. If they've made it across the basins to that location, I'd almost put money on the fact that they've made it down the other mountain ranges to CO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All interesting info here, sucks to hear stuff like 40 sheep in a night, thats just crazy. I did hear something as well about possible sightings in the Craig Steamboat area, but don't think anything was ever confirmed. I am sure it is just a matter of time before we all start seeing/hearing them down here too.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There was a film of a black wolf just outside of Walden. It looked to be on the road that goes to Big Creek Lakes just above town. They are in northern Colorado at least.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I personally saw a pair of wolves three years ago near the Snowy Range in southeast WY. I reported it to the game and fish in Laramie and they said they where probably coyotes. I know what I saw and the difference between a wolf and a coyote is what I told them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Raider View Post
    4 years ago we were elk hunting in the Uncampagre (sp) in Colorado. The guys next to us were from Minnisota. They told the DOW people they had sighted 3 wolves while they were hunting. They told us about it. We ask the DOW agents that came by our camp about it. They said those guys don't realize how big the coyotes are around the area.

When we ask the Minnisota guys about it later they just laughed. Their response was "We have wolves in Minnisota. We know what a wolve looks like".
    That's funny considering western coyotes are significantly smaller than the eastern type coyotes we have in much of minnesota. That's not to say there aren't plenty of armchair experts in MN that couldn't identify a wolf to save their life, but what those DOW guys said is laughable. Plenty of MN guys have seen lots of wolves though, we have as many or more in the northern half of the state than the rest of the lower 48 combined.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Since all the F&G's seem to want to claim they are "coyotes" it is obviously legal to kill them since they are "coyotes"!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've always thought the coyotes I've seen all over Colorado seemed kinda on the small side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Thanks a lot. It never ceases to amaze me when wildlife/animal travel is concerned. That Cougar traveled a good amount of mileage on that trek.....
    Every year it seems we have trail cam pics and sightings of mountain lions in Illinois. The cougars are from the Dakotas according to their DNA. Wolves from Minnesota are also showing up in very small numbers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    Every year it seems we have trail cam pics and sightings of mountain lions in Illinois. The cougars are from the Dakotas according to their DNA. Wolves from Minnesota are also showing up in very small numbers.
    + 2 bears in the last few years, and I suspect there will be a lot more the way the Wisconsin population has been growing