Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolves will be everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Murdy View Post
    + 2 bears in the last few years, and I suspect there will be a lot more the way the Wisconsin population has been growing
    I am new to the forum and have read thru the posts on wolves in various areas. I live in MN and under the direction of our DNR the wolf population has expanded at an alarming rate. Nothing is safe as they will basically eat anything. In the northern portion of the state some areas are void of deer. The wolf has wiped out the population and has moved on. They are killing machines and the old myth that they only kill the young, weak and old is just that a myth.

The DNR in MN has planted the wolf into areas not previously know to have the wolf. I would imagine if they are planted in Colorado the elk population will drop like rock in short order as an elk is an easy target for a pack of wolves. In fact nothing can escape a pack of wolves. They are taking on moose and bison with no trouble. I feel bad for guys in states the wolf will be introduced as your hunting will change practically overnight.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wogger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 75 Times in 8 Posts
    As much as everyone seems to dislike them, I'm guessing most of us would love to see one this fall in an area we were allowed to shoot it! I would love a wolf rug!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    As much as everyone seems to dislike them, I'm guessing most of us would love to see one this fall in an area we were allowed to shoot it! I would love a wolf rug!
    I am a big fan of having a healthy number on the landscape. Emphasis on healthy. In MN it is not hard to find plenty of trail cam pictures of horribly mangy wolves. Too much population density. Fact of the matter is they will have to share the deer with us. They are no longer endangered or threatened. Big game hunting is big business in all states, letting populations do what they may is not an option in modern society. We have developed the countryside. Essentially all large animals with a non threatened population are managed by humans, wolves are no different.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsd16 View Post
    I am a big fan of having a healthy number on the landscape. Emphasis on healthy. In MN it is not hard to find plenty of trail cam pictures of horribly mangy wolves. Too much population density. Fact of the matter is they will have to share the deer with us. They are no longer endangered or threatened. Big game hunting is big business in all states, letting populations do what they may is not an option in modern society. We have developed the countryside. Essentially all large animals with a non threatened population are managed by humans, wolves are no different.
    For me a healthy number would be ZERO in the lower 48! They never have been endangered, but would love to see them that way on their way to extinction in the lower 48.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    For me a healthy number would be ZERO in the lower 48! They never have been endangered, but would love to see them that way on their way to extinction in the lower 48.
    I couldnt agree more CC! There is a reason they were wiped out here in the first place and these wolves are much bigger and to alot more damage then the native wolves. The native wolf was not much bigger then a coyote and they actually are somewhat endangered. There actually were a few native wolves around yellowstone until these wolves killed them. I guess they are more endangered now. The introduction was "experimental non essential" meaning the wolves were not endangered in any way. The canadian wolves we have now were INTRODUCED here not REINTRODUCED. They were never here and you cant reintroduce something that was never there.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I would only like to see them so I can kill them. I would much rather still have all the animals and hunting they have destroyed over any wolf hide.......
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I couldnt agree more CC! There is a reason they were wiped out here in the first place and these wolves are much bigger and to alot more damage then the native wolves. The native wolf was not much bigger then a coyote and they actually are somewhat endangered. There actually were a few native wolves around yellowstone until these wolves killed them. I guess they are more endangered now. The introduction was "experimental non essential" meaning the wolves were not endangered in any way. The canadian wolves we have now were INTRODUCED here not REINTRODUCED. They were never here and you cant reintroduce something that was never there.
    Those are some interesting points MM; so is what you're referring to as a "native" wolf a gray wolf and the species from up north what we might call a "timber wolf?" Really curious about that and couldn't find any straightforward answers online but I will keep digging.

In my humble opinion, one of the worst management strategies with this whole wolf thing was not effectively managing under the guise of endangerment. If anyone with some common sense reads the endagered species act, it really makes no sense even from a biological, evolutionary, and ecological standpoint. It is simply too subjective. Similar to MM's point above, take the example of the green back cutthroat trout in the southern rockies; millions and millions were spent on "reintroducing" that species to rocky mountain national park in CO even though that was at the very edge of its historical range which suggests it was never that great of habitat to begin with. On top of that is the philosophical and non-scentific side that automatically assumes humans cause extinctions and completely ignores the fact that habitats, ranges and species' distributions expand, contract and even disappear due to MANY factors that might have been thousands or even millions of years in the making.

Kind of ironic...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to micropterus79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    Coyotes are abundant, but wolves got "shot" to extinction. Somehow think that's not quite right considering coyotes seem to be the dumber of the 2. Or could it be they are a smaller animal requiring less maintenance and when the elk & bison herds tanked, so too did the wolves.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    That is a good point Packmule. I don't think they were all shot. Part was losing their food sources, part was poisoning, part was hunting them out. There was a pretty concerted effort to wipe them out with a bounty on hides and everything and coyotes were more of a nuisance and the hides weren't worth as much from what I have heard anyway. They did a heck of a job of it in Texas from what I have heard. Not many Lobos down there anymore that I have heard about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Timber wolf is the native wolf. The "gray wolf" is the canadian wolf we have now. Some terms have really been generalized since they planned the introduction and that is why you cant find a definate answer online. The whole introduction was illegal. Congress denied funding and the money was stolen from the Pitman/Robertson fund by USFWS. The head of USFWS at the time was the former head of USHS. There is not even proper paperwork to transport them from Canada to the USA and they arrived and were released before anyone knew it had happened.