Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Wolves

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Granby guy View Post
    There was a wolf killed on I -70 near Idaho springs that they traced back to the Yellowstone herd. There have been some recent and reliable sightings near Kremmling in the last few years. I think it's only a matter of time before we have a sizable population of them here.
    There was also one found dead from "unknown causes" near Steamboat. It was also a Yellowstone collared wolf. When radio signal from collar was stationary too long, they went looking for it. I agree with you...its only a matter of time! One thing for sure, anything that looks like a wolf that I see, will get itself shot!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 07-19-2014 at 12:35 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    MM get point about trapping. I think that might be one of the more successful approaches available. I doubt poisoning will ever be a legal option again. Last year I thought in Idaho you could trap five wolves a year. That seems like a lot.

Packmule, I didn't realize that coyotes and wolves could interbreed. I learn a lot on here. i guess dogs can, so it I should have known. I've seen video of Yellowstone wolves killing coyotes. As the wolf numbers decrease I think the coyotes could move back in and like the others said, they have more litters and are not pack animals that only have one breeding pair per pack so their numbers could bounce back better.

Colorado Cowboy, I think that is pretty much the attitude everywhere in Wyoming that wolves are in the predator zone. I just hope some of those sheepdogs in the Big Horns and other places don't get caught up in it. Hopefully people can tell the difference, but I have seen people mistake elk for "the biggest mule deer I've seen in my life".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post

Colorado Cowboy, I think that is pretty much the attitude everywhere in Wyoming that wolves are in the predator zone. I just hope some of those sheepdogs in the Big Horns and other places don't get caught up in it. Hopefully people can tell the difference, but I have seen people mistake elk for "the biggest mule deer I've seen in my life".
    I've seen wolves in the wild and know the difference between dogs & wolves. Don't think I would mistake one for the other. The ones I saw were in Wyo in the Teton Wilderness area in Thorofare. They were way bigger than dogs or coyotes.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Once you see a wolf live it is hard to not to miss. They are ridiculous big, think German Shepherd on roids with the temper to match.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I wasn't really talking about you CC, sorry about that. Other people I don't have as much faith in, including myself. I mistaken cows for bears before at a long distance. I am not sure how far away they were but across the canyon it sure looked and acted like a bear so I wasted half a day chasing after a cow. We saw some wolves in Yellowstone last year and it was pretty obvious what they were, but I thought the difference between elk and deer was pretty obvious, too. That mistake has been made more than once that I know of so I don't put it past some people to some dumb stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I knew you wasn't and I was not taking anything personal. Once you've seen one you realize it would be hard to mistake it for anything else, especially at shooting distance, which for me would be fairly close.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts

Thumbs up

In NC they have reintroduced Red wolves and they are inter breeding with the coyotes . One small group of enviroterrorist and a liberal judge has shut down coyote hunting in the eastern part of the state. They have spent millions on the reintroduction and it looks like there will be no end to it. Right now coyote hunting is at a standstill in those counties indefinitly.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post
    Bad news for Or and northern Ca
    http://dfw.state.or.us/news/2014/june/060414.asp

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nv-hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Someone in Montana shot a Husky or some wolf looking dog they thought was a wolf.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    Packmule, I didn't realize that coyotes and wolves could interbreed. I learn a lot on here. i guess dogs can, so it I should have known. I've seen video of Yellowstone wolves killing coyotes. As the wolf numbers decrease I think the coyotes could move back in and like the others said, they have more litters and are not pack animals that only have one breeding pair per pack so their numbers could bounce back better..
    And bc of the coyote breeding habits, they're the wild canine engineered to survive and adapt to steadily changing situations. Can't save every species bc that's not how they were designed or dinosaurs and mammoths would still be walking the earth.