Thread: Android GPS App

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Android GPS App

First let me say that I really like a gps when traveling or in my boat but have never found any need for a gps when hunting and have never used one for hunting. That said, I'm considering getting one for my phone so I can accurately locate private land boundaries this fall. I've downloaded a 7 day free trial Hunt OnXmaps but the accuracy when I tried it out in my back yard was only to about 50 yards and I couldn't zoom in very close (I can zoom way closer on Zillow.com). Is this best I can get from this app or am I doing something wrong? I was hoping for much more accuracy from this app as I can be this accurate by just using a paper map. I'm not trying to put down OnXmaps as I may be the weak link in this chain and OnX maps have answered all my questions so far. I'm just looking for some thoughts from those of you who use gps a lot more than I do. Thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm not into all this new phone stuff and only use a Garmin Legend HCx with the Wyoming chip. Since I've had it it has always been accurate within 15' or less of any legal boundary marker that I could match it up with for accuracy. Since fences don't mean squat out there I would not be without it if I was hunting anywhere near private land. I would think as good as the company products are that what you're talking about should be as accurate or better than what I have experienced with my GPS. Even the 50 yards that you mentioned isn't bad, but I'd want something that's closer and that's why I've been very happy with my chip.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This article might shed some light http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/20...-gps-accuracy/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very interesting hoshour! Thanks for sharing.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Best android app is BackCountry Navigator. Way more map/service options and the OS is open enough that you can get around and customize things if you desire.