Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 7 Posts

No Guide Required with Family in Alaska?

I have heard that you can bypass the guide/outfitter requirement for sheep, grizzly and mountain goat when hunting with a family member in Alaska. Does anyone know how close the family member must be? I have a second cousin who is an Alaskan resident.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I have heard that you can bypass the guide/outfitter requirement for sheep, grizzly and mountain goat when hunting with a family member in Alaska. Does anyone know how close the family member must be? I have a second cousin who is an Alaskan resident.
    I hunt with my Brother-in-laws, but they count the same as a Brother. I believe it states next-of-kin. I think that includes Mother/Step-Mother, Father/Step-Father, Brother/Brother-in-Law, Sister/Sister-in Law only, but I'm not positive. The Regs have a list of what counts. I bet AKAviator could tell us for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    "Second degree of kindred" means a father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother- or sister-in-law, son- or daughter-in-law, father- or mother-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother, stepson, or stepdaughter (5 AAC 92.990).

From AK game and fish website.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to the Alaska Fish and Game website nonresidents hunting brown/grizzly bear, dall sheep, or mountain goats must be accompanied by a licensed guide or by a family member of the second degree of kindred. Second degree of kindred being father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother or sister-in-law, mother or father-in-law, son or daughter-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister. It doesn't look like your second cousin will count.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to southernidahohunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So your second cousin would also have to be an in-law it sounds like. You got some match making to do UH. Just kidding.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    ha well if your from alabama your cousin might be a sis or sis nlaw aswell.... haha jkjkjk alabama

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    The definition that Alabama and southernidahohunter gave is correct. All that I would add is that your "second degree of kindred" relative must have a valid Alaska hunting license and stay within 100 yards of you when the animal is taken.

Trying to prevent folks from buying their Alaska Grandma a hunting license then running off to hunt sheep goats or grizzlies while she's in the nursing home.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You could be your own Grandpa.