Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts

No Guide Required with Family in Alaska?

I have heard that you can bypass the guide/outfitter requirement for sheep, grizzly and mountain goat when hunting with a family member in Alaska. Does anyone know how close the family member must be? I have a second cousin who is an Alaskan resident.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I have heard that you can bypass the guide/outfitter requirement for sheep, grizzly and mountain goat when hunting with a family member in Alaska. Does anyone know how close the family member must be? I have a second cousin who is an Alaskan resident.
    I hunt with my Brother-in-laws, but they count the same as a Brother. I believe it states next-of-kin. I think that includes Mother/Step-Mother, Father/Step-Father, Brother/Brother-in-Law, Sister/Sister-in Law only, but I'm not positive. The Regs have a list of what counts. I bet AKAviator could tell us for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    "Second degree of kindred" means a father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother- or sister-in-law, son- or daughter-in-law, father- or mother-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepsister, stepbrother, stepson, or stepdaughter (5 AAC 92.990).

From AK game and fish website.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    According to the Alaska Fish and Game website nonresidents hunting brown/grizzly bear, dall sheep, or mountain goats must be accompanied by a licensed guide or by a family member of the second degree of kindred. Second degree of kindred being father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter, spouse, grandparent, grandchild, brother or sister-in-law, mother or father-in-law, son or daughter-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister. It doesn't look like your second cousin will count.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to southernidahohunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    So your second cousin would also have to be an in-law it sounds like. You got some match making to do UH. Just kidding.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    ha well if your from alabama your cousin might be a sis or sis nlaw aswell.... haha jkjkjk alabama

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    The definition that Alabama and southernidahohunter gave is correct. All that I would add is that your "second degree of kindred" relative must have a valid Alaska hunting license and stay within 100 yards of you when the animal is taken.

Trying to prevent folks from buying their Alaska Grandma a hunting license then running off to hunt sheep goats or grizzlies while she's in the nursing home.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You could be your own Grandpa.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trkytrack2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    You could be your own Grandpa.
    Lol...I think Buck Owens sang that. That is a funny song and here in the south can ring true.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthoek21 View Post
    Lol...I think Buck Owens sang that. That is a funny song and here in the south can ring true.
    Willie Nelson! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2akFlmUe3g
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."