Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I agree with BOHNTR. Wardens here in Texas are given a power called Officers Discretion. I am assuming that other Wardens in other states have the same power. If they feel an animal is dying and will not recover, they have the power to make that call and put the animal down. Typically if an animal is put down they will give the meat to a family in need. The horns are another story. They typically go into a traveling showcase to be displayed over Texas at different shows.

Now the problem I do have and have never been told of an officer having this kind of authority, nor do I think they should have the authority, is that they be able to dispatch a deer because they think it will be poached. That is the most ludicrous excuse I could think of. To me, if they feel the deer has a high potential of being poached, they have the perfect bait to catch a lot of outlaws. I highly doubt this was the reasoning for shooting this deer. If it were and it was shot in Texas, the Warden would probably be looking for another job.

My 2 cents.

Thanks
    Sounds like the Warden poached him to me... Buck was really big and he wanted to shoot it...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhorsepower View Post
    No. The only warden in washoe is a village idiot. I hear a new story about him monthly being an idiot. What is also weird I recieved a different story on the buck from an ndow guy. Who knows.
    I hear that! Ive heard so many stories about this whole thing. I guess he made a judgement call. I also think it would be sad if he was wounded and died.

Thanks
    Yeah but wounded and died is natures course. That's the way the ball rolls. I dont know. Maybe I am just fed up with this state and legislature. All the political offices. I feel sorry for whoever works for the state.

Thanks
    I'm just glad the deer was photographed for us all to see

Thanks
    Wow thats a beautiful buck! If he was wounded i dont see a problem, but if its just the villiage idiot then maybe its another story who knows...

Thanks
    I know through friends who were hunting him last year that the wardens were tired of getting calls from the tree huggers in the area and the deer was shot shortly after they had seen him and talked to the warden. Didn't know deer would fight in Jan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    I know through friends who were hunting him last year that the wardens were tired of getting calls from the tree huggers in the area and the deer was shot shortly after they had seen him and talked to the warden. Didn't know deer would fight in Jan
    Hahaha. I like it. Everybody I ask about this buck points the blame finger on ndow. I think the game warden couldn't help himself. He though he could justify shooting a big buck!

Thanks
    Big mature deer like this one can sustain some very substantial wounds.....as hunters we all know this. I have seen a deer with 3 legs (one hind leg was missing below the knee) survive for three or four year like this. I'm just saying how did he know for sure the wound was fatal??? I say let nature take it course and if he dies in town then so be it.