Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    I pretty much am the same way and my max range is flexible given current weather conditions and how I have been shooting. I typically use a 4 inch ring as my guide. If I am not keeping 95%+ in that circle then I'm not happy and I only feel confident shooting an animal at a given distance when I can achieve 95%+ in a 4 inch circle.
    I agree....I too use a 4 inch circle before I feel any satisfaction or confidence at shooting an animal at that same distance, it must be 4" to set my effective hunting range. I'm calling a flyer something 6" or more, and if I experience any of these at said distance (right now is 80) then that is not in my hunting range, only my practice range. Im confident to 60 yards right now, where in shooting dozens of arrows, over several sessions, I will not miss by more than 6" and +95% will fall into that 4" circle. I like to use 80 as a reference to how "well" I am currently shooting.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone on here. I will have a different range than others and it will change depending on the situation. I would also caution you that just because you can punch paper doesn't mean you can kill an animal. When you get up to an animal for the first time, speaking from experience, you have to be mentally prepared to not completely forget everything you have been practicing. I shoot out to 100 every time I shoot even if it is windy. Does this mean I have to look for arrows? You bet, but it also lets me know what my arrow will do during certain situations. It also lets me find out what my range should be when I encounter those situations in the field and not just say... "Well I think I'll take 20 yards off or so because of the wind." If I know how far my arrow will move, why not still take the shot if you have done it before? You see, the thing about archery is that what your broadhead hits is what counts. You don't have the reload capacity or bullet shock like a rifle to get another one in the animal as fast, and the animal may be way out past your comfortable range for a second shot if you were pushing the limits to begin with. Lastly, penetration is what really makes me balk at shooting long distances at animals. A shift of the leg puts your arrow in the shoulder, glances off a rib, or some other scenario. I lost a buck I shot last year because of this very thing. I was in my comfort zone, but just before I released the arrow, he moved his front leg back and I hit his shoulder. If you want to feel like crap, watch an animal run away from you towards private ground with your arrow in it knowing you may never find that animal.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Top gun, a animal can move just as much at 20 yards as a 100 yards while hunting with archery tackle.
    I think I have to disagree with this. With archery tackle, an animal can move a minimum of 5 times farther at 100 yards, as it can at 20. And that's assuming your arrow is traveling at the same speed after 20 yards as it was from 0-20, which it's not.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I think I have to disagree with this. With archery tackle, an animal can move a minimum of 5 times farther at 100 yards, as it can at 20. And that's assuming your arrow is traveling at the same speed after 20 yards as it was from 0-20, which it's not.
    Fink, when shooting an animal at long range for archery, they are generally more relaxed. But a animal can turn a heart shot into a hindquarters shot at 20 yards. You can't say an animal will always move more at long range, because that is not true.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

7. The Following User Says Thank You to velvetfvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Wow, some mythical posts here for sure.

To the original poster; long distance shooting is not necessary out West to be successful. In fact, it lends to a higher percentage of wounding, IMO. Learning how to stalk and get close is what it's all about. Out of all of the deer I've arrowed over the years (100+) the majority were arrowed at less than 40 yards.......and only one in the 60 yard range. That includes the Sonoran Desert environments.
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BOHNTR For This Useful Post: