Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings from michigan

Hello fellow hunters, While vacationing in Traverse City, I was shopping in a used bookstore on Main St. I picked up a book titled 'Hunting Trophy Antelope' by Mike Eastman. It came with a DVD in the front flyleaf. I purchased the book ($4.00), and read it in its entirety leading me to the EHJ and here I am.
    I have recently retired from Ford Motor Company after 30 years 10 days. I WILL NOW HAVE THE TIME TO DO THE THINGS IVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DO! I plan on spending time hunting, traveling and spending a lot of time in the garage. The days of fighting the maddening traffic of Dearborn Mich are over. I traded in the 4 lane circus and built a retirement home outside the city limits of the small village of Sheridan. Slow paced, low crime rate, quiet setting.
    I have fond memories of hunting as a youth. I would hunt endless hours with my three brothers. My father would join us as much as he could. (He sold his soul to Ford Motor Company and I followed in his footsteps, Work, Work, Work). It was nothing to hunt rabbits 5 days a week in the winter after hunting every day of the fall deer season. THAT ALL CHANGED IN DECEMBER OF 1979, when my red-headed kid brother was accidentally shot and killed while hunting with the friend of the family. I never knew that one single event could drastically change a family. My 3 remaining brothers vowed to never touch guns again and would eventually teach their kids to do the same. One of my sisters attempted suicide a week later and my father would eventually lose his mind. I continued to hunt and enjoy the outdoors and even began to collect handguns as a hobby, (Ive been known to overpay for any Colt Python). The only vice I fell victim to was I vowed to never hunt with anyone again, only alone.
    My years at Ford have cut into my hunting time but I have made an adamant decision to return to the sport that I once loved. I am in the process of putting together my hunting package of which I will be asking advice on later.
    On a positive note, I have convinced one of my nephews to accompany me on a hunting trip out west. His father (my brother) is at least warming up to the idea. I purchased a shotgun for my nephews 21st birthday. We have been spending many hours shooting and talking hunting, safety, ethics, etc. We decided to apply for an antelope tag in Wyoming, influenced by Mike Eastmans book. We were unsuccessful drawing a tag and will try again in 2015.
    The important thing is that after 35 years I have put the past behind me, found a hunting partner, and have STOPPED BLAMING GOD FOR THE LOSS OF MY BEAUTIFUL LITTLE BROTHER.
    I do not have much to offer this forum in terms of hunting the west but if you need info on 'The life and times of the Ford Ranger', The worst car ever built, the Ford Pinto, or how to rebuild a small block Ford, I might be able to help. I am looking forward conversing and learning from you hunting experts out there.
    Finally, My father has not spoke to me since I purchased a 2014 Camaro. "Ford until death" he always said. Only in America can you purchase a Chevy with Ford pension checks. Gotta love it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FORD#1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Hey, welcome to the forum!! So sorry for your loss, I couldn't imagine going through such a tragedy.

You will love this forum and I hope to see you stick around. And also.....thanks for getting your nephew involved in the sport. I completely understand your reasoning for hunting alone, but I feel like you two will build a bond that can't be broken by going at it together. Good luck in the 2015 draws. Hopefully you bought a pref point for antelope as that will help you a lot. And it wouldn't hurt to start buying deer PPs as well....for a future hunt. Best of luck, and take care!!

One other thing....my late Grandfather was Ford vehicles and Case tractors through and through. Wouldn't even consider anything else. My first job out of college was selling trucks at the local Ford dealership. He told me to be on the lookout for a Ford diesel as he wanted to upgrade. 2-3 days later a guy comes in and traded me his Chevy Duramax for a new F-150. Papaw bought the Chevy from me and absolutely loved that truck haha.....We still have it actually. Its a 2002 with about 80k miles on it!!!!
    Last edited by Cobbhunts; 07-15-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: My phone can't spell :)
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Wow what a story! So sorry for your loss. Glad you kept to hunting and the out doors. Happy you found us, there is a lot of great info here. Thanks for the intro.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Welcome from another Michigander!!!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 7 Posts
    Glad you found us!

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Cobbhunts, Yes I did buy PPs for Deer and Antelope. I own a 1952 FORD 8N. It runs like a sewing machine. I also have a FORD Pinto in the pole barn with less than 8000 miles on it. Bought it from a FORD executive. I figured if it stayed in storage at least nobody could get hurt driving it. As far as my nephew, he comes with a lot of baggage but he's a good kid and I love him! The first time we shot gun together I almost couldn't do it. Boy, was I nervous!. I forced myself through it. I'm glad I did. Thanks for making me feel welcome. FORD#1.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FORD#1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Topgun, My father grew up in Allegan. 150 Pine St. Seems like there was a JR High School across the rd. Anyway, Michigan is the greatest state in my humble opinion. The winters are getting a little annoying but I love where I live and am not looking to move. Stay in touch! FORD#!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks SCOTTR, Sounds like you have a great job. If you see Mike Eastman tell him I have read every page of his book...twice. The Eastmans' appear to be great people. Seems like they are doing great things for the hunters of America. FORD#1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you MUSKETMAN, Your photo album of Washington is truly awesome. I have spent to much time in the city and those pictures are getting me pumped up to see the West. Thanks, FORD#1

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FORD#1 For This Useful Post: