Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Just thought I'd share the only Barnes Expander ML that I've ever recovered. I purposely shot it into a dirt mound to unload my ML this past fall. I've taken 7 deer with these I believe. None of which has taken a step...DRT. I'm not pimping them, as I've shot and witnessed plenty of deer shot with many different brands and types of ML bullets. And there's plenty of them out there that work great!! These just work for me. There's actually only a couple of bullets that I wouldn't use. I won't disclose that for the sake of argument.

My place of work has 15k acres of trophy managed deer hunting. I'm a guide there and it's ML or archery only. So over the years, through experience with a lot of ML hunts, I've settled on these. For the time being at least haha. They aren't the most accurate bullet I've used either. About 2 inch groups at 100 yards is the best I can do with the Expanders. I stuck with them simply because they were accurate enough for me, and lethal.

At any rate....I was impressed with this recovery. Only one petal was deformed and I'm sure it bumped a rock in the soil or something. Hope you enjoy!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1405478553180.jpg  
    Last edited by Cobbhunts; 07-15-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I have a knight redhot which is made by barnes and I think is basically the same bullet. I recovered it under the skin on the opposite shoulder of a deer and it is expanded perfectly! I would take and post a pic if I could remember where it is right now. lol
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's cool MM. Red Hots aren't really popular around here. Probably because they aren't readily available. I've never seen them in a local outdoor store, nor have I tried them. I'd sure be interested in giving them a whirl though, especially if they are cheaper than the Barnes. I may order a pack this summer. I use BH209 for what its worth, with RIO primers.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    awesome - are those legal in Colorado?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brushcreek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by brushcreek View Post
    I have no idea bud. I've never hunted, nor researched hunting in CO. They are all copper if that matters.
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If their sabots their not legal in Colorado.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trkytrack2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by trkytrack2 View Post
    If their sabots their not legal in Colorado.
    There ya go....no go for CO bud!
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I have a knight redhot which is made by barnes and I think is basically the same bullet. I recovered it under the skin on the opposite shoulder of a deer and it is expanded perfectly! I would take and post a pic if I could remember where it is right now. lol
    Dang....I just looked and the knight's are a little higher than the Barnes are. From what I've read today it seems like they are the same though. They provide a different sabot. The Barnes come with a MMP sabot which is pretty solid. I prefer the Harvester sabots though.
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brushcreek View Post
    You want the THOR bullet. They don't use sabots and are Colorado legal. The owner buys them from Barnes.

https://thorbullets.com
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good info UH. Thanks for chiming in!
    - Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobbhunts For This Useful Post: