Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats the best backcountry head lamp

Will be camping for about 2 weeks in region H. Will be using light for 2 - 3 hours or more in morning getting back in and the same coming out.I think I would like to use AA batteries,those C123 batteries are to exspensive.Charging isn't going to be an option.Anyone have a good reference to the many choices? I think the LED is the way to go,but wow there is alot of choices. Thank you Dick56

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Out of all the headlamps I have poured money into the Streamlight 14512 is by far my favorite. It does take the CR123 or AA batteries. I prefer the CR123 batteries and you can get the CR123a batteries on line pretty cheap if you look around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I like my CR123 Princeton tec, but I am also very impressed with Zebralight headlamps. They have AA models, but the rechargeables are really eye-opening. Like turn night into day eye-opening.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the Black Diamond Storm headlamp. It is fully waterproof and has a continuous dim feature allowing you to use the power setting that meets your need. many lamps have a very bright and a very low setting and I like the ability to pick the light output. The max is 160 lumens and I have done what your describing for your pack in/out for many years and I bought the storm because I needed a great light.

I would also direct you to check out the Petzl Tactikka RGB headlamp. This lamp is 110 lumnes with a power boost option that will allow temporary 140 lumen output and will run at a consistent battery power output. If you are a believer is the red green blue lights for various hunting purposed this give you those options. I do not have experience but have been told the blue light can help track blood in the dark.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anything black diamond or petzl is worth its weight in gold in the backcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I have had great luck with my Black Diamonds. I use them for work, hunting, I always have one in the center console of my truck.

A buddy of mine brought a LED Lenser with bear hunting this spring and that thing was amazing! it was by far the brightest headlamp I have ever seen, and was still pretty compact.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 5 Posts
    I like my petzl head lamp. I will see if I can locate it soon as I'm done moving to give you a model. Mine has the white and red LEDs on it. When I'm hiking or out a lot I'm running the red led as it is a good way to save battery life and you can still see the trail. If things get hairy I just pop on the white light. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have been hearing alot of great things about the black diamond storm thinking about getting 1 myself

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Black Diamond Storm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mule3006Elk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys, I think I'm going to try to find a Black Diamond Storm 2014 in the orange.