Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,149
    Thanks
    1,234
    Thanked 648 Times in 560 Posts
    Congratulations
    186
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    [QUOTE=BKC;105373I would never put dry ice in with my meat, it makes it taste a little funny. [/QUOTE]

    I have never herd that before or noticed any difference in how the meat tasted.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 121 Times in 96 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm going to start using dry ice more now, great tip ike

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We raft the Snake and/or Salmon river every summer and dry ice is the only way to go. We do everything the same except I put a layer of cardboard over the mixture so nothing happens to touch the dry ice and freeze while running the rivers!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Dolores, Colorado
    Posts
    2,579
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 428 Times in 322 Posts
    Congratulations
    18
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Blocks last a lot longer than cubes. I found that keeping dry ice and your other ice together, you can move ice, a little each day, to another smaller cooler for food and drinks. http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...hlight=coolers
    Used to fish Baja a lot and not much ice available when we were camping on the beaches and fishing. Learned this trick back in the 70's and it can really stretch out you ice supply. I also used duct tape to seal the lid down and used an old sleeping bag around the cooler. Works pretty well. I am sure it will work lots better with todays newer coolers too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon Coast
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    270
    Thanked 144 Times in 119 Posts
    Congratulations
    34
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Big "BIG" Yeti fan here.....took a cooler full of ice from Oregon (Big Blocks and frozen jugs) to Colorado and actually returned with some of the same ice three weeks later. Now some of the evenings were below freezing but there were plenty of warm days.

    The key is using big blocks, not bags of crushed ice, and augmenting with a little Dry Ice here and there.

    I usually take a couple of cardboard boxes close to the size of my coolers and line them with an unscented trash bag. I drop it in the chest freezer or the walk in at work, and fill with water a good two weeks before the departure. I just remove the cardboard before putting it in the cooler but most of the trash bag can be removed with a little warm water.

    In a high quality cooler like Engle or Yeti that ice can last for a LONG time if you are careful and don't open the cooler for a Keystone every 15 minutes
    Last edited by OregonJim; 07-29-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    844
    Thanks
    237
    Thanked 191 Times in 180 Posts
    Congratulations
    42
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Big "BIG" Yeti fan here.....took a cooler full of ice from Oregon (Big Blocks and frozen jugs) to Colorado and actually returned with some of the same ice three weeks later. Now some of the evenings were below freezing but there were plenty of warm days.

    The key is using big blocks, not bags of crushed ice, and augmenting with a little Dry Ice here and there.

    I usually take a couple of cardboard boxes close to the size of my coolers and line them with an unscented trash bag. I drop it in the chest freezer or the walk in at work, and fill with water a good two weeks before the departure. I just remove the cardboard before putting it in the cooler but most of the trash bag can be removed with a little warm water.

    In a high quality cooler like Engle or Yeti that ice can last for a LONG time if you are careful and don't open the cooler for a Keystone every 15 minutes
    Yeti makes great stuff for sure....but if you open them a bunch they are reduced to the likes of a Styrofoam cooler!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

    "Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Congratulations
    51
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Country View Post
    We raft the Snake and/or Salmon river every summer and dry ice is the only way to go. We do everything the same except I put a layer of cardboard over the mixture so nothing happens to touch the dry ice and freeze while running the rivers!
    I've never bought dry ice before- how do they sell it (packaging) and how much does a person need to freeze 20-30 lbs of meat if it has been cooled down to 40-50 degree range?

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    522
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 58 Times in 52 Posts
    Congratulations
    126
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I believe its in 4 lb blocks. Its wrapped in freezer paper or newspaper because it burns skin when in contact. A 4 lb block would be plenty for 30 lbs of meat.

    EDIT: Any meat locker or Walmart out west seems to carry it.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to buckbull For This Useful Post:


  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 46 Times in 27 Posts
    Congratulations
    3
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I was wishing for some dry ice this last week in Nevada. I was prepared to make a 35 mile trip to get more Ice , but I tagged out in time.

    i bought a 150 quart igloo cooler from Costco. I put 3 blocks of Ice and one frozen gallon jug along the bottom. I put the 12 packs of canned and bottled drinks between the blocks, then stacked frozen Vacuum packed dinners on top of those. Within 24 hours everything I'd Frozen was thawed.

    60 miles before my camp I filled every nook and cranny with cube Ice. It melted throughout the 4 days in camp, but the coolers stayed cool inside. I was annoyed that the melt water infiltrated even the best vacuum sealed (commercial) bag.

    I think next time, my frozen prepared meals will just be in a US Army Jerry can Bag, with dry Ice on top and put each night's meal in the Water Ice cooler to defrost. I will definitely freeze more water jugs next time. Those big blocks have so muck less surface area to melt, and last a long time.

  11. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    185
    Thanked 201 Times in 173 Posts
    Congratulations
    1
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rocky View Post
    I was wishing for some dry ice this last week in Nevada. I was prepared to make a 35 mile trip to get more Ice , but I tagged out in time.

    i bought a 150 quart igloo cooler from Costco. I put 3 blocks of Ice and one frozen gallon jug along the bottom. I put the 12 packs of canned and bottled drinks between the blocks, then stacked frozen Vacuum packed dinners on top of those. Within 24 hours everything I'd Frozen was thawed.

    60 miles before my camp I filled every nook and cranny with cube Ice. It melted throughout the 4 days in camp, but the coolers stayed cool inside. I was annoyed that the melt water infiltrated even the best vacuum sealed (commercial) bag.

    I think next time, my frozen prepared meals will just be in a US Army Jerry can Bag, with dry Ice on top and put each night's meal in the Water Ice cooler to defrost. I will definitely freeze more water jugs next time. Those big blocks have so muck less surface area to melt, and last a long time.
    Summer hunting in the desert is always a race with the ice if you don't have dry or a Yeti! I have had a lot of luck with my 150qt Igloo and 120qt Coleman coolers when I put frozen bottles in them. Throughout the year whenever I get my hands on a 2 liter soda bottle it automatically gets filled with water and put in to the freezer for hunting season. I have tried gallon milk/water jugs but they are a mess when they start to melt and they break easy. The soda bottles freeze great and last a long time.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •