Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    [QUOTE=BKC;105373I would never put dry ice in with my meat, it makes it taste a little funny. [/QUOTE]

I have never herd that before or noticed any difference in how the meat tasted.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm going to start using dry ice more now, great tip ike

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We raft the Snake and/or Salmon river every summer and dry ice is the only way to go. We do everything the same except I put a layer of cardboard over the mixture so nothing happens to touch the dry ice and freeze while running the rivers!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BKC View Post
    Blocks last a lot longer than cubes. I found that keeping dry ice and your other ice together, you can move ice, a little each day, to another smaller cooler for food and drinks. http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...hlight=coolers
    Used to fish Baja a lot and not much ice available when we were camping on the beaches and fishing. Learned this trick back in the 70's and it can really stretch out you ice supply. I also used duct tape to seal the lid down and used an old sleeping bag around the cooler. Works pretty well. I am sure it will work lots better with todays newer coolers too.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Big "BIG" Yeti fan here.....took a cooler full of ice from Oregon (Big Blocks and frozen jugs) to Colorado and actually returned with some of the same ice three weeks later. Now some of the evenings were below freezing but there were plenty of warm days.

The key is using big blocks, not bags of crushed ice, and augmenting with a little Dry Ice here and there.

I usually take a couple of cardboard boxes close to the size of my coolers and line them with an unscented trash bag. I drop it in the chest freezer or the walk in at work, and fill with water a good two weeks before the departure. I just remove the cardboard before putting it in the cooler but most of the trash bag can be removed with a little warm water.

In a high quality cooler like Engle or Yeti that ice can last for a LONG time if you are careful and don't open the cooler for a Keystone every 15 minutes
    Last edited by OregonJim; 07-29-2014 at 05:56 PM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Big "BIG" Yeti fan here.....took a cooler full of ice from Oregon (Big Blocks and frozen jugs) to Colorado and actually returned with some of the same ice three weeks later. Now some of the evenings were below freezing but there were plenty of warm days.

The key is using big blocks, not bags of crushed ice, and augmenting with a little Dry Ice here and there.

I usually take a couple of cardboard boxes close to the size of my coolers and line them with an unscented trash bag. I drop it in the chest freezer or the walk in at work, and fill with water a good two weeks before the departure. I just remove the cardboard before putting it in the cooler but most of the trash bag can be removed with a little warm water.

In a high quality cooler like Engle or Yeti that ice can last for a LONG time if you are careful and don't open the cooler for a Keystone every 15 minutes
    Yeti makes great stuff for sure....but if you open them a bunch they are reduced to the likes of a Styrofoam cooler!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Country View Post
    We raft the Snake and/or Salmon river every summer and dry ice is the only way to go. We do everything the same except I put a layer of cardboard over the mixture so nothing happens to touch the dry ice and freeze while running the rivers!
    I've never bought dry ice before- how do they sell it (packaging) and how much does a person need to freeze 20-30 lbs of meat if it has been cooled down to 40-50 degree range?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I believe its in 4 lb blocks. Its wrapped in freezer paper or newspaper because it burns skin when in contact. A 4 lb block would be plenty for 30 lbs of meat.

EDIT: Any meat locker or Walmart out west seems to carry it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to buckbull For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I was wishing for some dry ice this last week in Nevada. I was prepared to make a 35 mile trip to get more Ice , but I tagged out in time.

i bought a 150 quart igloo cooler from Costco. I put 3 blocks of Ice and one frozen gallon jug along the bottom. I put the 12 packs of canned and bottled drinks between the blocks, then stacked frozen Vacuum packed dinners on top of those. Within 24 hours everything I'd Frozen was thawed.

60 miles before my camp I filled every nook and cranny with cube Ice. It melted throughout the 4 days in camp, but the coolers stayed cool inside. I was annoyed that the melt water infiltrated even the best vacuum sealed (commercial) bag.

I think next time, my frozen prepared meals will just be in a US Army Jerry can Bag, with dry Ice on top and put each night's meal in the Water Ice cooler to defrost. I will definitely freeze more water jugs next time. Those big blocks have so muck less surface area to melt, and last a long time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rocky View Post
    I was wishing for some dry ice this last week in Nevada. I was prepared to make a 35 mile trip to get more Ice , but I tagged out in time.

i bought a 150 quart igloo cooler from Costco. I put 3 blocks of Ice and one frozen gallon jug along the bottom. I put the 12 packs of canned and bottled drinks between the blocks, then stacked frozen Vacuum packed dinners on top of those. Within 24 hours everything I'd Frozen was thawed.

60 miles before my camp I filled every nook and cranny with cube Ice. It melted throughout the 4 days in camp, but the coolers stayed cool inside. I was annoyed that the melt water infiltrated even the best vacuum sealed (commercial) bag.

I think next time, my frozen prepared meals will just be in a US Army Jerry can Bag, with dry Ice on top and put each night's meal in the Water Ice cooler to defrost. I will definitely freeze more water jugs next time. Those big blocks have so muck less surface area to melt, and last a long time.
    Summer hunting in the desert is always a race with the ice if you don't have dry or a Yeti! I have had a lot of luck with my 150qt Igloo and 120qt Coleman coolers when I put frozen bottles in them. Throughout the year whenever I get my hands on a 2 liter soda bottle it automatically gets filled with water and put in to the freezer for hunting season. I have tried gallon milk/water jugs but they are a mess when they start to melt and they break easy. The soda bottles freeze great and last a long time.