Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts

Elk and slick tricks

Anyone have any info on how grizz tricks work on elk? I have heard from some people that they are too big and don't get the penetration needed for the bigger game and are really made for deer and antelope? Anyone shoot elk or moose or something big with the grizz tricks? I'm trying to figure out if I need to switch to the 1" tricks
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't have any experience with the grizz tricks, but this is what a 1" standard will do.

Pass thru on a big bodied bull that made it a hundred yards or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unless you have a light/slow arrow you should be good. If you're concerned, just use the standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've killed bulls with 1 1/2" dia rocky mt supreme 4 blade heads. A Grizz trick isn't close to a being too big. I shot a bull at 2 steps with the regulars. You'll be fine.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    As mentioned before unless you have a real slow bow you should be fine. What bow are you shooting and any idea what arrow weight and speed you are shooting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    tdcour,

I think the bigger concern is getting a larger diameter broadhead tuned correctly. I believe that larger broadhead's penetration is very dependent on proper tuning. If tuned properly, that broadhead will zip through an elk with no issues out of your standard elk setup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    Bowtech Insanity CPX 290 fps with a 453gr arrow. I have noticed that they don't penetrate my target as well as the nap thunderheads I have, but after some tweaking of my D Loop all of my broadheads are hitting exactly where my field tips are so I don't think I have anymore tuning issues. There is only an inch or two difference between the two heads so it isn't too big of a difference. I'm just wondering if there is too much blade there to punch through hide, bones, etc. I have noticed they aren't quite as forgiving as well... Any kind of torque throws them off a few inches at 50, but I'm hoping I can be like WapitiBob and get one at two steps... I'm thinking anything will work at that range!
    Last edited by tdcour; 07-22-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The thunderheads will penetrate a little better because of the lower profile blade angle.
    I never worry about bones. My thought is, the only ones you're going thru regardless of head are a rib or the thinner part of the scapula. Most heads will only go a cpl inches thru the scapula making it a real long recovery, if recovered at all.

Two steps was a kick. I remember the whole thing like it was yesterday.