Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

wyoming leftover tag hunt, unit 17 or 23 help

i missed the draw so now i'm trying to salvage a hunt thru the leftovers for my sons western hunt. for a couple weeks i've been studying the above units along with unti 24. i know both are severely limited in public access. 23 seems to have a lot of antelope and more tags. 17 seems to have a good number of them with still a good number of tags left, but seems to have twice as much accessible land. from studying my onxmap chip and satelite imagery i know alot of 17 accessible public land is not considered good antelope country. however it still seems to have alot more than 23. i really dont want to pay a ranch(havent had any luck finding one with openings anyway). does anyone have any suggestions or info about 17 they are will to share? setting at the house is an option i guess but one id rather not do.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    17 doesn't have that much accessible public land, so I have no idea why you stated that by just looking at your GPS because the chip doesn't show legal roads. Many roads that look like they are public on your maps aren't and the ony way to know what are is to get a good map from the county that shows what roads are maintained with taxpayer money.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-19-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=Topgun 30-06;105337]17 doesn't have that much accessible public land, so I have no idea why you stated that by just looking at your GPS because the chip doesn't show legal roads. Many roads that look like they are public on your maps aren't and the ony way to know what are is to get a good map from the county that shows what roads are maintained with taxpayer

Unlike 23, there are several more roads that are labeled and appear public from what I see. I am using the only tools I have, landownership chip and satellite imagery. I've been trying to get ahold of the local warden but have not had any luck. There are several sections I can tell are accessible as well as a wiha. I'm not from that part of the world so what some thinks is not much land might be a lot to me. A section where I live is pretty big. I added up what I think is accessible and I came up with about 19,000 acres spread over the unit. I know some of that is not antelope country and some of it may not be accessible.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A tip I will pass on, call the local BLM office, ask for the GIS guy, and ask him to send you a KML/KMZ of their open roads. You can open that file in google earth. If he doesn't have one, have the section/range info and he can find out if they have BLM easements.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=bb1379;105361]
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    17 doesn't have that much accessible public land, so I have no idea why you stated that by just looking at your GPS because the chip doesn't show legal roads. Many roads that look like they are public on your maps aren't and the ony way to know what are is to get a good map from the county that shows what roads are maintained with taxpayer

Unlike 23, there are several more roads that are labeled and appear public from what I see. I am using the only tools I have, landownership chip and satellite imagery. I've been trying to get ahold of the local warden but have not had any luck. There are several sections I can tell are accessible as well as a wiha. I'm not from that part of the world so what some thinks is not much land might be a lot to me. A section where I live is pretty big. I added up what I think is accessible and I came up with about 19,000 acres spread over the unit. I know some of that is not antelope country and some of it may not be accessible.

Please listen closely! You CANNOT look at what you're looking at (chip and satellite imagery) and tell anything about public road access other than marked state highways and county roads if they're marked their entire length. Just because you see a road that has a name on it has nothing to do with whether it's maintained by the county and legal to drive on. Other than that you are just guessing and that will get you into big trouble. FYI if there was anything close to 19,000 acres that are accessible like you came up with, the unit would not be one that is marked as difficult public access by the G&F. Incidentally, a section is a square mile containing 640 acres and that doesn't change no matter where you are from or go and out west a section is considered pretty small!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-19-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I gotta agree with Topgun. I have hunted 23 and am going for 17 this year. They can be pretty difficult units. The maps and GPS can be kindof decieving. It looks like big blocks of BLM with roads going into them, but a lot of the roads are private. The walk-in areas can get a lot of pressure, too. I think there are places to go, but it takes a lot of research. It sounds like you are doing the research, though. Wapiti Bob has a good idea there. Surveyors and GIS guys are probably the ones to ask. I think if you can get on a good chunk of land, chances are good there will be an antelope there. It might take a few days if there isn't any water or something and it might not be a trophy. The state lands are not always the most productive areas. A section of land is different here in that it supports fewer animals than a section in a lot of other places. The landowners in 17 in particularly are hard on trespassing, and they don't have to mark their property boundaries in Wyoming. They get some big money for hunters because there are some good ones on their land. The warden here has his hands full with a poaching deal, but they are usually pretty good to work with from my experience. Not much help, sorry about that, but that is kindof why there are leftovers it seems like. Anyway good luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    that's why I contacted the game warden. the roads I'm looking at are all labeled the entire length. a road not labeled, im not even looking at. ive hunted individual sections before in Montana and had plenty of success. some people just over look that stuff wanting to hunt the bigger blocks. the acreage I looked is all land that touches a "labeled" road or highway. I hunted unit 72 back in 2011 and it was labeled "difficult access" and there was may more public land to hunt than any unit I'm looking at now. thanks for the help.

wapitibob, thanks, i'll look into it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bb1379 View Post
    that's why I contacted the game warden. the roads I'm looking at are all labeled the entire length. a road not labeled, im not even looking at. ive hunted individual sections before in Montana and had plenty of success. some people just over look that stuff wanting to hunt the bigger blocks. the acreage I looked is all land that touches a "labeled" road or highway. I hunted unit 72 back in 2011 and it was labeled "difficult access" and there was may more public land to hunt than any unit I'm looking at now. thanks for the help.

wapitibob, thanks, i'll look into it.
    You are one stubborn son of a gun! There is only ONE state highway in unit 17 and the best I can tell from my good CD ROM map purchased from the G&F is there are ony two marked county roads up in the northern part of the unit where there is little public land. Yes, there are a number of roads with labeled names on them, but that doesn't mean squat as far as whether they are county maintained roads or not. I hope you do a lot of PROPER research and quit guessing by looking at your GPS chip because all it tells you is land ownership and that's it! Good luck!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-19-2014 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Welcome to the forum bb! Where are you from? Is this your first WY antelope hunt? There is some blm in both of those units (SW17. NW23) that I think you could access but dont know how the antelope hunting would be on it. Most antelope in that area are on private along the Powder River from what I have seen.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum bb! Where are you from? Is this your first WY antelope hunt? There is some blm in both of those units (SW17. NW23) that I think you could access but dont know how the antelope hunting would be on it. Most antelope in that area are on private along the Powder River from what I have seen.
    MM---There were 1100 Type 1 tags to be sold for 17 and there are still over 500 left. That should tell the OP that he has a tough road ahead trying to find enough public land to have a good hunt on. He hasn't introduced himself or given any comments on where he lives and what his experience is out west, but he must live a long way from Wyoming if it's a 20+ hour drive for him like he stated on Hunt Talk asking about other units.