Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    well, if you find a good spot, let me know!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    All units with leftover tags will have some reason there are leftover tags which is usually lack of access. 17 or 23 would not be my first choice of areas to hunt but if I had no other tags and really wanted to go hunting and either of them looked like the best unit that still had tags I would not hesitate to get a tag and go. Poor hunting is always better then none
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yes I can be stubborn. everyone, especially topgun....I've been hunting my entire life, I'm 42 years old, hunted new mexico, Wyoming, Montana and Kansas for the past 16 years. whitetail, mule deer and antelope. I'm from texas, sorry. I plan to get my questions about access confirmed before I spend a dime on a tag. I appreciate the info from you all, however topgun sure can rub you the wrong way. up until this season, I've been quite fortunate to draw the tag I was after. I rarely hunt the same state 2 years in a row as my job only allows for 1 GOOD fall hunt away from home usually. I'm about the point of throwing in the towel and just getting a point for next year. if it wasn't for really wanting to take my son I would have gave up weeks ago. I refuse to pay a landowner to hunt antelope and my reason being that for $250 trespass(what I understand to be the minimum) I could have just got the special license and with my points, drawn a pretty dang good area that doesn't have the little (*) by it. I have also taken into consideration the fact that with quotas being down in a lot of the state, more people will likely be doing what I'm doing now since they didn't draw either and end up on the little bit of public land that is available in the leftover units.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Topgun sure can have that effect on people. He is a pretty good guy once you get to know him but he can be like 10 grit sand paper at times.

There will be access issues in any leftover unit. If you really want to hunt antelope this year I would pick the unit with the most public land that has tags still and go for it. Just know going into it access will be difficult and there might not be many antelope on the public land. I disagree with you on refusing to pay a fee to hunt private land. If you could find a ranch you could hunt for a reasonable fee in a unit with leftover tags you could have a place to hunt antelope any year you want.
    Last edited by Musket Man; 07-20-2014 at 09:27 AM.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've hunted leftovers for years and never had access issues. Always have good hunts and 2014 should be the same. The problem is waiting till all the leftovers are gone and then trying to find a decent hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    "The problem is waiting till all the leftovers are gone and then trying to find a decent hunt""

Yep, and this is absolutely amazing when a person comes on and has no idea about the two units that he's ask information on, other than using a chip and satellite imagery, and then says I rub him the wrong way when I give on the ground information from being in both units! I've hunted both, offer straight information to help the guy, and all he does is keep coming back making the same statements telling me where he can go and not go when he doesn't have a clue using what he's using. So why is he asking if he knows everything already and won't listen to any information given? Now he's on other sites asking the same questions and not getting anywhere there either! I'll tell a person if a unit is worth trying for, but I won't blow smoke up someone's rearend and tell them it's great when it's not. I guess the OP wants to hear that he'll go out, find a big piece of public land and his boy will kill a B&C buck! Even a local from Gillette that lives close to both units has come on and agreed with my synopsis and when I try to impress on the OP what he needs to do I get nothing back but negative comments. Buy the tag and drive all the way out there with your fingers crossed that you have a good hunt with the boy and don't get busted for being where you shouldn't, as I'm out of here! Good luck!

MM---I wish you or someone else would go hunt deer 164 and see what that unit is like, as that joke is also getting old when I've been all over it and keep getting *** thrown in my face!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just a joke TG, not throwing anything in anyones face. I do plan on hunting 164. I was thinking about it this year but the season conflicts with another hunt I drew.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    "The problem is waiting till all the leftovers are gone and then trying to find a decent hunt""

Yep, and this is absolutely amazing when a person comes on and has no idea about the two units that he's ask information on, other than using a chip and satellite imagery, and then says I rub him the worng way when I give on the ground information from being in both units! I've hunted both, offer straight information to help the guy, and all he does is keep coming back making the same statements telling me where he can go and not go when he doesn't have a clue using what he's using. So why is he asking if he knows everything already and won't listen to any information given? Now he's on other sites asking the same questions and not getting anywhere there either! I'll tell a person if a unit is worth trying for, but I won't blow smoke up someone's rearend and tell them it's great when it's not. I guess the OP wants to hear that he'll go out, find a big piece of public land and his boy will kill a B&C buck! Even a local from Gillette that lives close to both units has come on and agreed with my synopsis and when I try to impress on the OP what he needs to do I get nothing back but negative comments. Buy the tag and drive all the way out there with your fingers crossed that you have a good hunt with the boy and don't get busted for being where you shouldn't, as I'm out of here! Good luck!

MM---I wish you or someone else would go hunt deer 164 and see what that unit is like, as that joke is also getting old when I've been all over it and keep getting *** thrown in my face!
    Hey there TopGun,simmer down. Sometimes you can't get anyones attention unless you hit them with a hammer. Nice try though!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Easy guys, not worth getting upset over.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    I have hunted both units, South of the interstate is easier hunting and better road access. Don't go opening week and it will be even better as most of the other NR hunters have headed home.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post: