Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming Unit 45 Elk

I'd appreciate any help I can get on this. My wife drew a cow tag for Unit 45. Wouldn't be a problem for most people, but my 9 year old granddaughter is living with us and will be going along. Anyone know this area well enough who could direct us somewhere that the terrain is not too difficult?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I like the Paint Rock Lakes Area. i am not sure how good the hunting is, but it is a cool area. I am not the best one to ask about how the hunting is sorry about that. There are some pretty well used hiking trails that aren't too bad until you get further in. The Renner WHMA and Medicine Lodge WHMA are kindof right on the transition from the badlands and fields to the mountains, kindof like Bud Love. You could get that info from a map, but maybe its a place to start. I think the Paint Rock Lakes are worth a scouting trip just because they are pretty neat. The road up there is a pretty good road, too. Looking at the Medicine Lodge WHMA would be a cool trip, too. The petrogylphs and stuff or on the way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I can give pretty specific area to go for a cow. Which tag did she draw? One season starts the 15th of October and the other starts October 1st off NF and then the 10th on NF. Are you looking for a camping spot, have 4 wheeler? PM me and I will send you some info.

David
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    With the type 6 tag your wife has I am limited in knowledge as it has to be withn 1 mile of irrigated and 99% of my experience in in the NF higher up. Maybe some one else on here can help you out? Top Gun is probably the most knowedgeable of the bighorns and he will hopefully have some insight.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 8 Posts
    I just went into the tentative seasons and there wasn't even a Type 6 cow tag offered. However, the Final Regulation does show 100 Type 6 tags available with that 1 mile irrigated land restriction. If she has that latter tag with the restriction that will take them way down into some lower elevations that are obviously bordering private crop land. The best thing will probably be to contact the G&F GW and biologist to see where there is crop damage. If you can hunt on that land or on the BLM bordering it, the hunt shouldn't be too bad for the two ladies to do. That's the best I can offer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I must have had a bad moment when I was filling out her ap. I swore I put in type 4, but she ended up with the type 6.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Surely there's a landowner in that area that would allow you to take a cow?? Or like TG said, hunt the BLM bordering the irrigated fields. And I would start making some phone calls too....I bet you'll find something. Good luck and post up some pictures for us!! And enjoy the time with your Grandaughter, that will be a great memory.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Robsev, sorry I'm kinda late to this conversation and you may have already contacted the game and fish. But this tag was put together for a couple ranches near hyattville and ten sleep, the alm ranch (formerly known as the hyatt ranch) and the mills ranch. The herds bounce back and forth from private to public and will probably take some time and effort to catch them on the public, I'm not sure if the either ranch will work with a guy for a cow or not. The game warden for 45 told me this summer that the alm ranch said they would allow some cow hunters if they came out with this 45-6 tag whether they are staying true to what they said I'm not sure. Your best bet would be to contact Matt Lynch (game warden for area 45) he will give you the ranch names and all the specifics. As far as terrain it will be pretty easy hunting at the foothills near the irrigated land, maybe a few cedars, lots of sage brush, some hills and ridges but nothing rugged.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clbrown23 For This Useful Post: