Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hardest thing about NR hunting in SD is drawing a tag. I believe you will have more options bow hunting. I've seen some pretty nice mule deer over in the grassland west of Hot Springs. Lots of public land available and you probably won't see much pressure that time of year. Might grab an antelope tag as well depending on where you end up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are big deer all over, but in some places they are much more frequent than another. That area around the badlands does hold some monster mulies. Its probably a better shot at a giant than the hills, but the overall numbers are much much lower by the badlands than in the hills. I would personally focus on that southwestern corner of the state. I know a guy who was out there last year and seen some really nice deer with not a whole lot of competition. Plus it should be a portion of the state where there is a nice variety of terrain to hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We have nailed it down to the area south west of wall on the Cheyenne river looks like a big section that we can hopefully get away from other hunters and looks like decent habitat. We are all very excited to get hunting thank you for all the input!

I do have a couple more questions.
    Are mulleys like white tails where its mostly morning and evening that are good and what are we looking for when we are hunting trees, draws or just open grass? just some general pointers for first time muley hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is the exact section I rifle hunted last year. It was crazy with pressure during rifle season, I would say at least 20 people in that area all day and more at morning and night. I'm sure it won't be nearly as crazy during bow season thought. It is a lot of River Breaks and river bottom. Really fun country to hunt. Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sodakswag. didn't mean to steal your spot. im hoping that there will be a lot less hunters during the bow season but did you see very many deer? we are not hung up on giants by any means we would be ecstatic with a 130" buck we just want to see deer and have a good chance at killing one and that area looks to suit bow hunting fairly well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My experience..they can be anywhere! In the middle of grass flats that look desolate, in tree pockets, anywhere. Im a big fan of "the rougher the country the better", so i like hunting steep breaks and the fingers that run off of em. It will be important to try and glass them, never thought it was a big deal until i started sitting down and really watching stuff through a scope or the binos.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No problem at all. We saw a couple good deer. One 130" whitetail was shot by the guy the next bluff over opening morning and we saw 1 other ok muley. Didn't see a lot of deer but some. But like everyone has said, they can be anywhere in that country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nice mulies can be found almost anywhere in western SD if you put the miles. In my opinion the southern Black Hills and Fall River county would be a good place to spend a week archery hunting. Decent mule deer numbers and a few real nice bucks to be found on public land. Also excellent spot and stock country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    These were both shot by hot springs, one bow, one rifle, but quite a few years ago. I put in for rifle in that unit this year but didn't draw. Last time I hunted in that area was with a bow. We weren't all that picky, but took 3 3points in my group. Two were rifle hunters. I did miss a pretty decent 4 x 4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131231_212124.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	10248

Two years ago.

Name:	20121117_152128.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	10249
    Last edited by sodaksooner; 08-13-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post

Name:	20131231_212124.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	10250

Better....