Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Wyoming elk unit 125 type 1

What's the deal with all the leftovers for this unit? I know it's checkerboard BLM and private. Are there any maps that show public roads or ranches that allow people to pass through to access public lands?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    What's the deal with all the leftovers for this unit? I know it's checkerboard BLM and private. Are there any maps that show public roads or ranches that allow people to pass through to access public lands?
    Almost always...Leftover Tags = Poor or no access. BLM maps are a good place to start.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Almost always...Leftover Tags = Poor or no access. BLM maps are a good place to start.
    From the best I can tell with my good map it looks like there may be only one public road in that entire unit and I'm pretty sure that's why there are tags left. My guess is that the tags that were sold for 125 will be used on the private ranches that dominate the area and tie up most of the BLM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Alabama,

The majority of the elk habitat in this area is controlled by outfitters. The main outfitter is Elk Mountain Outfitters... pricey but a good hunt from what I have heard. In years past some of the small ranches allowed cow elk hunting later in the season but I don't believe there are any that allow bull hunting without a hefty fee. In years of heavy snowfall, some of the elk make their way to some public land but I wouldn't buy the tag unless you had some good private ground to hunt on.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you have a land status chip in your GPS and have a helicopter chartered, well then you'd have a good hunt. There's the problem, the area ranches have almost all the BLM & State ground landlocked. You can enter the ranches, but the cost for a "Trespass fee" might run many hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I wonder if others are trying the helicopter deal in various states where the public land is locked up like Randy did in his show.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It is all checkerboard from what I can see, that basically equates to no access. If you knew the right 1x1 square you could have a chopper drop you on it, but that sounds like an OTC colorado bull tag would be a much better proposition.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys. The mytopo map I was looking at was showing 2 historic trails that are probably not open to the public to drive on. There seem to be only 2 public roads as far as I can tell (besides the perimeter) and 1 is an interstate highway. I was just hoping someone had some info about some ranches that allow access, but it seems far-fetched in this day and age. Outfitters pay big bucks and money talks. Looks like plan A Colorado OTC is still a go. I just loved the 2 month long season as it gives me a ton of options on when to hunt and I could see my good friends in NE again if I hunted in eastern WY.