Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    Something else I'd suggest is to set a maximum price for the rifle itself leaving you as much room as possible to purchase high quality glass and mount systems. Too often I've seen friends go by an $800 rifle and top it with a $300 scope/base/ring combo which doesn't make sense in my eyes since a hunting rifle is useless without a reliable optic on top of it.
    Very good point.... You really do get what you pay for when it comes to glass and mounting systems. I have had some good luck with cheaper Burris and Nikon products but they pale by comparison to my VX3 when you look through them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 2 Posts
    Couldn't recommend more the 270!! One of the flattest shooting calibers. Have killed everything from Lopers to elk with mine.
    Have never had a problem finding ammo, although I reload my own.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would definitely be proactive when it comes to buying ammo. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tikka T3 Hunter (walnut stock, blued barrel) chambered in .270 Winchester ($678)
    Talley Medium Rings & Bases ($120) ***Tikka's usually come with their own rings/bases
    Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 ($399)
    Butler Creek Neoprene Sling ($20)

Total Price: $1220. Leftover cash for ammo! My tikka eat's the cheapo Winchester CXP (silver box) very well and also the HSM (orange box) in 130 grain like its his job! 150 grain's shoot well for those larger mountain deer too. Ammo is readily available everywhere!!!

You can also pick up a back up magazine for $60 or so. Also, a limbsaver 'precision fit' puss-pad (recoil pad) for another $40.. Money well spent!
    Last edited by Huntinguy0120; 07-25-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntinguy0120 View Post
    Tikka T3 Hunter (walnut stock, blued barrel) chambered in .270 Winchester ($678)
    Talley Medium Rings & Bases ($120) ***Tikka's usually come with their own rings/bases
    Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 ($399)
    Butler Creek Neoprene Sling ($20)

Total Price: $1220. Leftover cash for ammo! My tikka eat's the cheapo Winchester CXP (silver box) very well and also the HSM (orange box) in 130 grain like its his job! 150 grain's shoot well for those larger mountain deer too. Ammo is readily available everywhere!!!

You can also pick up a back up magazine for $60 or so. Also, a limbsaver 'precision fit' puss-pad (recoil pad) for another $40.. Money well spent!
    I haven't bought a rifle in over 15 years, if I were going to buy another I would consider something like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .257 weatherby mag topped with leupold 4.5-14. 25-06 for slightly less range but more available ammo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    bigsky2, Excellent question. I have been out of hunting for years and am in the process of researching rifles. I noticed that the Eastmans advertise Salvage rifles. Anyone out there know of the quality of these guns. I am leaning toward the 7mm mag. Thankyou!FORD#1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    i pick would be a 7wsm or 7mm they have such great bullet bc and also a great longrange rifle, i have heard nothing but good things about those tikka's.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhunter View Post
    If I was in your shoes. I would go with the Tikka T3, replace the factory stock with the B&C Medalist (much better fell, handles recoil better, and has an aluminum bedding block, put on some Talley lightweight rings, and throw on a leupold 3.5-10x40 (with the CDS dial or B&C reticle) and call it a day. I have this exact setup with the Zeiss 3.5-10x40 conquest with the ballistic reticle in 7mm Mag, and it is a great rifle, and it weights about 7.5 lbs ready to hunt.

Here is a pic before I switch to the Zeiss glass (it was too good of a deal to pass up.
    Attachment 10117
    looks like a great setup

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 2 Posts
    I shoot a .300 win mag but have a .270 in the closet for antelope hunting. I would also recommend a .270 to fit what you are looking for. My brother just switched from a .270 to a .300 win mag as well but he has killed deer, antelope, and elk with his .270 for over 15 years. It is a great caliber. As far as glass goes you cant go wrong with Vortex. They have a great product at a good price and a bullet proof warranty. Leupold is great as well but you get less for your money with Leupold IMO. As far as factory rifles go Savage is making a great rifle these days. They make a few with the accustock and free floated barrel. I have been a Remington guy my whole life but my brother has bought 2 savage rifles in the last few years and they are practical and shoot great. Good luck.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!