Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I got 37 long guns (rifles & shotguns) My favorite that I hunt big game with our as follows. Out west, antelope = 25-06, mule deer = 7mm rem mag, elk = 300 win. mag. Local (Oklahoma, Texas & Kanas) whitetails & hogs 308 win & 7mm-08 rem. If I had to choose just one to cover everything? It would be 7mm rem mag. As far as brand, go shoulder several at a gun show or sports stores & see what is comfortable. Ammunition, I'd look at midway usa, nosler custom ammo in accubond or partition is hard to beat. Barnes also has good factory ammo.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A 25-06, 270, 280 Remington, or a 30-06 would all work very well. I had a Remington 700 MTN rifle in .280 Remington and it sure was a great rifle & cartridge combination. Tikka's really seem to be good shooting rifles and are made by Sako and they build quality stuff. hard to go wrong with one of those.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1for the tikka as well! I purchased one over a year ago ins 308 and have been very impressed with it out of the box. Sitting on top of is is a DNA scope mount and a vortex diamond's scope.

But as others have mentioned, the 7mm mag is a great choice as well and is what I hunt with th for deer and elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 5 Posts
    This thread makes me wish I was in the market for a new rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    This thread makes me wish I was in the market for a new rifle.
    I'm a very lucky guy and I'm having built for me right now a Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter which will be pillar and glass bedded and the trigger tuned-up. I am having a new barrel put on it in 280 AI. Man am I excited!!
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you want to look at several guns online checkout budsgunshop.com & cdnn investments. Sometimes you can find some good deals. Buds has a 90 day layaway with 20% down.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have you considered a 270 Winchester ? Either Remington Model 700 or Winchester Model 70. I love the 270 so much that I have 3 of them, most recently purchased a Winchester Model 70 extreme weather, stainless with a black stbthetic stock, fairly light but it ran me 1,300 just for the rifle. Remingtons mountain rifles are light and nice to pack around and are offered in several chamberings. Winchester model 70 Classic Featherweight's are also very light and easy to pack around and are also offered in several chamberings. Ruger M 77's are also very good rifles but not real light. All of the calibers suggested in previous comments are all good calibers, 243, 25-06, 270, 7MM. My advice would be to go to your local gun shop and hold a few different rifles and then decide what rifle you like in the caliber that you like in your price range. Hunting rifles are alot like trucks, every hunter has a favorite one and opinions are going to vary drastically

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No brand loyalty or anything, but these are pretty good to 500. Chrono day to get their turrets ordered. XCR I(s) & II(s) & a bdl s/s..can still occassionally find a NIB XCR I and have recently seen a cpl nib bdl s/s in magnum calibers come through.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
    A 25-06, 270, 280 Remington, or a 30-06 would all work very well. I had a Remington 700 MTN rifle in .280 Remington and it sure was a great rifle & cartridge combination. Tikka's really seem to be good shooting rifles and are made by Sako and they build quality stuff. hard to go wrong with one of those.
    This is exactly what I'd recommend.

I really, really like the .280 Rem, especially if you might hunt larger game. But the other cartridge suggestions; e.g., .270 Win, '06 are just as good. If you like short action rifles, look in to either a 7MM-08 Rem or .308 Win.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    While I don't own a Tikka, I do like them. I do own a Sako. Sako makes excellent rifles. However, I'm not sure if Sako rifles are worth the current premium they now command vis-a-vis Tikka. I think I'd go with a Tikka.