Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts

best maps of blm and units?

i am trying to find a great map of the unit and have the gps chip for land ownership, blm maps and a mytopo that shows blm but they don't show the watering tanks or some of the small ponds that i am finding on google earth. will i just have to add them to my maps from gps coordinates off google earth? any other maps that you really like?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    Good ole 7.5 min Quad maps should show you the detail your looking for if you get the right ones. They show springs, stock ponds, mines, two-tracks, etc. They won't show any land ownership unless it's like forest service boundaries or something like that. I know in Wyoming, you can go online to the state USGS site and look at the state wide index map and figure out which ones you'll need.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slim23 View Post
    i am trying to find a great map of the unit and have the gps chip for land ownership, blm maps and a mytopo that shows blm but they don't show the watering tanks or some of the small ponds that i am finding on google earth. will i just have to add them to my maps from gps coordinates off google earth? any other maps that you really like?
    BLM Surface Management Maps are very handy. They don't show as much detail, but they do show private/public land. They are about $8 at plic.org. . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiMtnHnter View Post
    BLM Surface Management Maps are very handy. They don't show as much detail, but they do show private/public land. They are about $8 at plic.org. . . .
    They're only $4 if you buy them direct from a BLM Office!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Call Topgun30-06. I recently ordered 14 various BLM maps from the BLM office. One word of caution...some of them were dated 2009,2011. Not sure this is a problem. They are a great general reference and show BML in yellow and state land in blue. Pretty cool for only $4. A great value! I am guilty of putting 4 of them together on the wall, much to the awe of my wife. They came down quickly after we unsuccessful draw. FORD#1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD#1 View Post
    Good Call Topgun30-06. I recently ordered 14 various BLM maps from the BLM office. One word of caution...some of them were dated 2009,2011. Not sure this is a problem. They are a great general reference and show BML in yellow and state land in blue. Pretty cool for only $4. A great value! I am guilty of putting 4 of them together on the wall, much to the awe of my wife. They came down quickly after we unsuccessful draw. FORD#1
    The dates are not unusual and as long as there have been no land swaps, etc. they should be okay. If there are significant land swaps made since the last printing, they will usually attach an addendum sheet to the map showing what trades were made and the next map printing will then be updated with those changes. It's not a bad idea when making an order to inquire as to the date of the map and ask if there are addendums that will be sent with it when they send it out to you.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 07-30-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i ordered the blm and mytopo unit maps. really the mytopo unit map is my fav so far. but it docent show the springs and ponds but with a little time on google earth i was able to mark them on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slim23 View Post
    i ordered the blm and mytopo unit maps. really the mytopo unit map is my fav so far. but it docent show the springs and ponds but with a little time on google earth i was able to mark them on it.
    Did you order the my topo map of the whole unit? If so....is it fairly readable? I was concerned about it being unreadable due to how much land it encompasses. Thanks!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a cheap SOB so I just print the free preview maps on huntin fool.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yes the whole unit map is as good or better than the blm. my unit 113 is on 2 blm so that sucks. but the level of detail is very similar. I need to get the true topo maps now i guess to have a better idea of water in the unit but i have most of what i can walk to covered already.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to slim23 For This Useful Post: