Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts

Deciding factors on a Mule Deer

I've been out scouting and have found some nice bucks. The area I drew will have some great trophy potential. I have two bucks on my list for this area to take if they show up during my season. While I've been scouting I've come acrossed 4 3x3 bucks that are pushing 30" wide.

My thoughts are this. I had a 180" buck or better in my mind as a bench mark, but with the chance at a 30" wide buck now I'm reconsidering things.

I have till Oct5 for opening day and a month to hunt so I've got a ton of time to find what I want to take. But with seeing so many 30" bucks I have to think I would be foolish to pass up one of them even tho they are only 3x3's.

What's your thoughts on this?

Thanks
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 5 Posts
    All those deer you mentioned are awesome bucks i would take any of them if i saw them but have never taken much for big mule deer yet. i would stick to what your goal is since your unit will have some great trophy potential. It would be tough for me not to shoot a 30" wide mule deer if it gave me the shot opportunity. What do you have on your wall now?? Maybe you don't have a 30" wide one and that would be an awesome deer. I wish i had that problem deciding on what what deer to go after. Good luck and post pics when u get the big one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    It would have to be a special 3X3, I think...long, heavy points, with good mass would do it for me!

Moose
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bigger is better than wider

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ando_31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    IKIC, I have to think that the gene pool must produce those kind of bucks but I would think there ought to be at least one 30" 4 x 4. I would keep looking, it sounds like you have a lot of time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Width is nice, but I prefer a tall 4x4 even if he's only 24" wide as long as he has some mass!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    All those deer you mentioned are awesome bucks i would take any of them if i saw them but have never taken much for big mule deer yet. i would stick to what your goal is since your unit will have some great trophy potential. It would be tough for me not to shoot a 30" wide mule deer if it gave me the shot opportunity. What do you have on your wall now?? Maybe you don't have a 30" wide one and that would be an awesome deer. I wish i had that problem deciding on what what deer to go after. Good luck and post pics when u get the big one.
    Don't have the 30" buck yet. That's why I think I should really consider it.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm with you. As long as I am bettering my previous bucks, why not. I have quite a few years to hunt, so I can take little steps and be pretty happy. I don't put in for long shot draws, but that could sure make a difference.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tttoadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    IKIC, you guys hear me in the texts and when we talk and BS. And on here how I talk about score. I usually talk about that before hunting. But the truth boils down to, when I am out there. If I find a buck and I think he looks cool, or I would be happy with him he may be a small 4 point.

To me when I see a buck I know I want him. Score doesn't come into the picture until later. The buck I shot last year looked huge to me. He looked 170" and was only a 150 class buck. But guess what, that 170 figure never reached my mind until he had an arrow in him. I knew he was what I wanted and score didn't determine that I wanted to take him
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to velvetfvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    IKIC, you guys hear me in the texts and when we talk and BS. And on here how I talk about score. I usually talk about that before hunting. But the truth boils down to, when I am out there. If I find a buck and I think he looks cool, or I would be happy with him he may be a small 4 point.

To me when I see a buck I know I want him. Score doesn't come into the picture until later. The buck I shot last year looked huge to me. He looked 170" and was only a 150 class buck. But guess what, that 170 figure never reached my mind until he had an arrow in him. I knew he was what I wanted and score didn't determine that I wanted to take him
    I agree with this. When I see a deer within range I almost always just know I want him or I don't. If you're looking at him and trying to convince yourself that he is bigger than he really is, then don't shoot. If your blood starts pumping and your hands start to shake: Shoot now! That is your buck. I think the size deer that does that to you is definitely different for everyone. For me it's an old mature buck. Width is good, big body and massive antlers are better. Good luck either way.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama For This Useful Post: