Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts

taking care of the meat

Since i will be in unit 23 i will have to take the quarters out in whole and the ribs whole also then can cut off the rest, so when i get back to camp, is it best the try to hang all the meat up in a tree if possible or put branches down then lay meat on top of that then a tarp to cover? Does a guy need to bring citric acid to get a crust on the meat from the bugs. I will be using tag bags to keep the meat in if i can get it hung in a tree. What is the best way to properly take care of this meat since we will be out there for 7 days?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    If its cool enough I would hang it. If its not, I would either quarter it or de-bone it, and lay it all in a cooler on top of the ice with the drain plug pulled. That's the way we age our whitetail if its not cool enough to let them hang.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I'll add.....I can't wait to see your pictures!! Good luck
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 9 Posts
    If I remember correctly your doing a drop hunt and weight could be an issue. You can pile alders up to lay the meat on to get air around it or make a meat rack to hang it from. I used Citric acid on mine just because the flies can get bad if you get a warm day. With the tag bags watch any sharp bones as they will cut them. Here is a pic of the meat rack we used.

You will have fun hunting Alaska.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Team Kabob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post
    If I remember correctly your doing a drop hunt and weight could be an issue. You can pile alders up to lay the meat on to get air around it or make a meat rack to hang it from. I used Citric acid on mine just because the flies can get bad if you get a warm day. With the tag bags watch any sharp bones as they will cut them. Here is a pic of the meat rack we used.

That's a cool pic Team K

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Kabob View Post

Great pic and good idea, i wont have any ice or coolers so i will have to find a cool spot or do what u did. thanks, i will for sure be taking lots of pics i leave sept cant wait.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 9 Posts
    We had 5 bou on that one. Also you could burn it before you leave.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 5 Posts
    Tag bags work great. It will get cold enough in september to leave it hanging. I will add that there are alot grizz in that country and you want to keep it away from your camp to avoid any promblems. Take a couple hand fulls of moth balls to spread around the meat on the ground to detour the bears. When fall is in the air and the smell of flesh an ol grizz will surely want your meat. If you are dropped off in the Squirrel river area you will be able to put your meat up high in a spruce tree.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    Tag bags work great. It will get cold enough in september to leave it hanging. I will add that there are alot grizz in that country and you want to keep it away from your camp to avoid any promblems. Take a couple hand fulls of moth balls to spread around the meat on the ground to detour the bears. When fall is in the air and the smell of flesh an ol grizz will surely want your meat. If you are dropped off in the Squirrel river area you will be able to put your meat up high in a spruce tree.
    I was told that the squirrel river is about only 20 mins from kotzebue and it gets lots of people and crowded cause it's close. I have heard that the time I'm going up there the anasak river is very good but also depends on where the migration is. I hope we hit the migration cause I really would love to bring home a caribou and hang in the family room

12. The Following User Says Congratulations to Retterath For This Post: