Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

WY Basic Application Info.

Hey guys, a few questions. I just purchased an antelope and elk PP as i figured i might as well start my WY investment. Hopefully well worth the 50$ PP Elk and 30$ lope, per year investment when its all said and done. Anyway, can someone just briefly explain what some of WY's lingo is in terms of tag type 1,2, 4, 5, 9 ect or the difference between regular and "special" tags......just trying to get familiar with the WY system as this is the first time doing business with WY.
    Thanks. -Donald

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts

WY Basic Application Info.

Send me a PM with your e-mail. The wy game and fish just sent out an email yesterday explaining all the types. I'm sure Topgun or Wapiti Bob will explain the draw better, but here it goes. The tags are allotted pref special, then reg pref point. They also allot 25% to the random draw, which also goes thru the special first.
    Last edited by ssliger; 07-25-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: misword

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    When you have some time just click on this link for the application booklet. It will answer your questions and a lot more that you'll need to know:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRD..._APPPACKET.pdf

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So let me just make sure i get one things straight.......all the "special" means in special full price elk is that for an extra 480.......you basically get thrown into a pool with better odds. $480 for basically just better odds?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvet5 View Post
    So let me just make sure i get one things straight.......all the "special" means in special full price elk is that for an extra 480.......you basically get thrown into a pool with better odds. $480 for basically just better odds?
    Thanks
    Not necessarily better odds. You need to check previous years stats for the unit you are putting in for. Sometimes there can be MORE applications for fewer Special Tags and the odds can be worse than the normal draw. You really have to do your research.
    Just sayin.....................
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks
    Yes, more money and you get better odds. Some units can be drawn with 1 or 2 points in the special and require over 4 in the regular draw.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks
    Most of the time the "special" has better odds- but as some of the other guys have said- look at the drawing odds history for both drawings (special and regular) and you find that sometimes a bunch of people go for the special drawing in certain units hoping for the better odds and the odds end up being worse than in the regular drawing. Rare, but it does happen.

If you like looking through numbers and guessing what others are going to do....then participating in Wyoming's draw system is pretty entertaining for a non-resident!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I'll throw in a some personal experience.
    I failed to draw several times with max pts in the regular.
    Screwed up and dropped a point a couple of years ago (net result max pts minus 1 subsequent years).
    Last year (2013) my unit had about 40% odds in the special draw with minus one points. All the max folks drew in special.
    Apparently a bunch of folks in my situation decided to apply for this unit in the special draw this year based on the published info.

For 2014, All the max point holders in the special drew and less than 40% max point holders drew in the regular.
    Only 3 of 29 drew in the special drew with one less than max. A huge difference from the previous year.

So while research pays it is a good idea to think about what published results might do to the draw the next season.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    These guys have done a good job answering your questions. I have to ask why you didn't buy a deer PP though?? I would just to get in the waiting line. Might as well! Best of luck whenever you get drawn.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker