Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Massive bear

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    The Alaska brown bear and the grizzly bear are pretty much genetically the same creature, the difference is really geographic. The "brown bear" are coastal and enjoy the big runs of salmon that can really fatten them up and grow them huge.

Grizzlies are inland and don't have the nutrient rich food sources that the Brown bears have, so they don't get as big.

I personally think the smaller interior grizzlies that are up on the north slope are a prettier bear but much more aggressive. A 7 to 8 foot bear, honestly measured, is a good one. A 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 foot Brown bear is good. I've seen comments about 12 and 13 foot bears.....those are in peoples dreams or have been stretched like crazy!

The bear in the photos was a solid 10' bear, plus a little. He's over 22 years. There was another as big and I never saw them tangle with each other. I suspect they did though, looking at the cuts and scars. The other bear was minus a toe on one foot!

What was up with this bears groin is a mystery to me and like I said before, I wasn't too interested in getting close enough to poke around there to find out!
    Last edited by AKaviator; 08-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 5 Posts
    Just curious, how close can you get to the bears there? I spose they are used to people so you could walk up and whack um if you had the stones?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnhoundman View Post
    Just curious, how close can you get to the bears there? I spose they are used to people so you could walk up and whack um if you had the stones?
    lol, more stones than me, I am not the counting coup type when it comes to grumpy bears.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thanks AK. Isn't access to the McNeil refuge run by a lottery draw system? Is it difficult to get in there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
    Thanks AK. Isn't access to the McNeil refuge run by a lottery draw system? Is it difficult to get in there?
    Yes it is a lottery system and fairly tough to draw, especially during the peak season of mid to late July. Very worth it though in my opinion. Fish and Game runs it and does a very good job. They are armed with shotguns and have years of experience dealing with these bears in this area. I've been to Brooks Falls, which is another popular viewing area, and it doesn't come close to McNeil for a quality experience. I'll go back whenever I can, even with the expense of getting there, it's that great!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks. Do you just take your chances each year in the lottery or do you build up preference points each time you don't get picked?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's just a straight up draw. Alaska doesn't have a preference point system for anything yet. You can get in on a standby permit at times. The fish and Game website has some good information about it. If you enjoy seeing bears, there's no place that's better! They can have up to 70+ bears at the falls at the same time. The most I saw was 12.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yeah, I heard all about it when I lived up there from '85 to '89. I always applied but never got drawn. I was hoping they'd begun using a pref point system but I guess not. Oh well. Glad you were drawn!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Useful Post: