Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    that is crazy! all that money goes back into the state though right? I know a lot of families I could help out if I had cash like that. sad to see it be spent on hunting an animal, but hopefully Utah makes good use of the money.
    Some goes back, not all though. It's somewhere around 70% that goes back to Utah.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shedhead View Post
    By law, the organizations get 10% of the sales and 90% goes back to the Utah DWR. What the organizations do with that 10% is their choice. This is the same for all orgs. MDF, SFW,RMEF, FNAWS, they all sell tags. DWR has conducts audits of these orgs to verify the 90/10 split.
    ScottR this is actually how it works!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have refrained from voicing my opinion up to now, but......I really have a difficult time with all the tags that certain states give out for auction to the highest bidder. Lottery is one thing, but auction is something else. Paying what these tags go for is only perpetuating tags for people who have lots of money and don't care how much it takes to get one. IMHO it's really a shame that this happens. Put the tag in a lottery where we all have a chance, all we have to do is buy a ticket, not rob a bank!

Rant over...
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    amen cowboy amen!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In Utah's case, all the orgs meet with the DWR each year and all get the tags split up among them. SFW, MDF, RMEF, FNAWS, NWTF, UBA, BOU are the main groups in this meeting, I maybe missing one or two other orgs. The tags are then auctioned off at the banquets and the money is given back to the DWR. The orgs then meet with the DWR, usually in the spring, and help decide which projects the money would be best spent on for the year.

Ivorytip, the DWR could sell the tags themselves, but my guess is they don't want the hassle of doing it. For them, they see it as a good partnership and they don't have to do the work, and to that point it is effective for them. They don't have to worry about hosting a banquet or auction and spending the time and resources.

There are many opinions on both sides of the debate that have been hashed out, so I don't waste my time arguing either side, especially on the internet. I can say I am a member of RMEF, MDF, SFW, and have seen good that has come from these funds. Is the program perfect? Nope, there are improvements that can be made just like everything else, but plenty of good has been done by these orgs and others. My biggest gripe with the whole system is to see the divisions among hunters. I feel that will be the biggest detriment to our hunting heritage. I don't agree with everything all these groups do, but I haven't found a perfect one yet, so I choose to be involved with them and help the best way I feel I can.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I have refrained from voicing my opinion up to now, but......I really have a difficult time with all the tags that certain states give out for auction to the highest bidder. Lottery is one thing, but auction is something else. Paying what these tags go for is only perpetuating tags for people who have lots of money and don't care how much it takes to get one. IMHO it's really a shame that this happens. Put the tag in a lottery where we all have a chance, all we have to do is buy a ticket, not rob a bank!

Rant over...
    Yes. Auction tags are bad and so are transferable landowner tags. Forget the draw and just buy a tag is the message.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by shedhead View Post
    In Utah's case, all the orgs meet with the DWR each year and all get the tags split up among them. SFW, MDF, RMEF, FNAWS, NWTF, UBA, BOU are the main groups in this meeting, I maybe missing one or two other orgs. The tags are then auctioned off at the banquets and the money is given back to the DWR. The orgs then meet with the DWR, usually in the spring, and help decide which projects the money would be best spent on for the year.

Ivorytip, the DWR could sell the tags themselves, but my guess is they don't want the hassle of doing it. For them, they see it as a good partnership and they don't have to do the work, and to that point it is effective for them. They don't have to worry about hosting a banquet or auction and spending the time and resources.

There are many opinions on both sides of the debate that have been hashed out, so I don't waste my time arguing either side, especially on the internet. I can say I am a member of RMEF, MDF, SFW, and have seen good that has come from these funds. Is the program perfect? Nope, there are improvements that can be made just like everything else, but plenty of good has been done by these orgs and others. My biggest gripe with the whole system is to see the divisions among hunters. I feel that will be the biggest detriment to our hunting heritage. I don't agree with everything all these groups do, but I haven't found a perfect one yet, so I choose to be involved with them and help the best way I feel I can.
    What made you decide to join SFW?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I chose to join SFW and be an active member because they get many things done, period. So does MDF and RMEF. The thing I find quite amusing is the complete biased opinions that many people on the internet have against SFW because of what they have read on the internet and not from what they have personally experienced. Is SFW perfect, nope. Do I agree with all they do, nope. Don't agree with all MDF and RMEF do either, doesn't stop me from supporting them. I choose to be part of SFW to have my voice heard. SFW's stance on issues is run through the committee of each chapter and then through the chapter chair's in the fulfillment committee, not just the top 3 or 4 guys calling the shots, I know this because I have been part of it. Like I said before, all these groups do great things for wildlife, I may not agree with all of it, but I sure as hell agree with making something happen and not just sitting on a keyboard whining about it all.

Do I agree with the conservation tag program in Utah, yep, I think it is great program. I don't think auction tags are bad, because of the money generated for the F&G departments. That being said, I believe the number of auction tags in Utah should be cut back from where it is now. I believe it is slated to have 5% of tags be in the conservation tag program, so as the tag numbers have increased, so have the number of auction tags. I feel the 5% should be reduced, not because of the dream that some people have that draw odds will magically get better, wont happen, but because it would put more tags in the normal hunters hands. Simple supply and demand can show that if the number of tags is cut back, the price would go up, therefore the DWR could still receive the same amount of money for projects.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    It is really alot more then 5%. Look at where these tags come from. They are all premium hunts and some of these hunts I think over 1/2 the tags are auctioned which really changes the odds for guys trying to draw a tag in these areas and I think is alot of why so many hunters are against SFW. Im not against a few auction tags but tomany just makes it so only the rich can hunt these areas.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 26 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    I know a lot of families I could help out if I had cash like that. sad to see it be spent on hunting an animal
    Exactly! You are free to spend your money and want you want, but I would hope your family and neighbors are taken care of first before you start dropping hundreds of thousands of dollars on something that is far less important.