Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 5 Posts

checking trail cams

How often do u guys check your trail cam for whitetail and mules. My trail cams are only about 20-35 miles from my house so not to far. I have been checking them about every week and a half, does that seem too much?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure about mules because I live in MN but I check my cameras about once every week or two. I'm sure I run the risk of some deer catching my scent but I want to know if there is a deer in the area worth putting some time on stand for. Just be careful with your scent and I wouldn't put the camera close to your stand/blind. Just put it in the general area with some kind of an attractant and most deer will find it. Just my .02...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I put mine out about a month ago and haven't checked them yet. I normally do every 10-14 days. Just trying something different this year.
    Mathews Heli-m, 70 lb limbs, 29.5 draw, trophy ridge 7 pin sight, qad hdx rest, fuse 8 in stabilizer, g5 6 arrow quiver, cabelas stalker extreme arrow 4 in vanes, G-5 Montec 100 grain broadhead, tru-fire hardcore release

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    During the summer I only check them every 3-4 weeks. In early season I check them every 1-2 weeks. As the rut approaches I usually check them more frequently. I think you should check them under the right conditions as often as possible. I like to check mine during the middle of the day when its windy as often as possible. Fewer deer are moving then so I stand less chance of bumping deer. I also always spray my lower body down with scent killer so I leave less scent. I try to also set my cameras up in areas where I can drive fairly close so again I really limit how much scent I leave in the area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 4 Posts
    I check mine about a week after I first put them out for the beginning of the year to make sure everything is working correct. After that every 6 weeks until season and then once season starts whenever I walk by a given camera.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have my cameras in the high country and usually don't get them out until mid July then I will check them 2-3 weeks later. That usually leaves me only going up the mountain twice before the archery hunt in mid August. I just want to get a feel for the animals and want to know what to expect out the the year.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Put in a 16 gb card and check them twice in the summer. Next year I plan on setting them early June and check them on July 4th. Then from the 4th to the end of July. And then once I go back for hunting around August 10th. Though I might set them at the end of June, check July 4th and then check early August before a hunt.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I have been checking them about every week but was curious what u guys were doing. I can access the area pretty easy so that's why it have checked then about every week. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What does everyone use to check the cards? Picture viewer, computer, switch out cards?

Thanks,
    newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newguy220 View Post
    What does everyone use to check the cards? Picture viewer, computer, switch out cards?

Thanks,
    newguy220
    It depends on the time of year. Pre-season I just switch cards. During season when I want immediate feedback I carry my digital camera along to view them.