Thread: Nutrition Ideas

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nutrition Ideas

My weakest link seems to be the nutrition side of toning up and getting fitter. I am a firefighter and sometimes forced to eat grab and go meals at work. My off duty time is spent with my kids and various side jobs.

I was wondering if ya'll could give me some new ideas for some precooked meals?

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Bake 2 chickens once a week, keep a bunch of frozen vegetables around. Fast, easy, healthy. Cooks in less time than a frozen meal.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I feel your pain as i do ems transport for a hospital. It can be tough when your always on the go. I have a weight limit of 220lbs with flight suit for the helicopter. I've cut out soda and junk food. Also I don't go for seconds and if I do eat out I don't eat all of the portions they give you. Preplanning meals is the only way I can do it. Also drink lots of water. I keep some oatmeal and fruit handy at base if I don't have time for lunch/dinner to hold me over for when I can eat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    If your trying to tone up get T25 it's a workout and works only 25 mins a day. Cut out processed foods,breads or don't eat bread after noon time, eat oatmeal and protein shake or eggs in morning. Eat 6-8 times a day roughly 400 cals per meal or less, eating that many times a day keeps your metabolism going constantly and helps boost it also. Eat chicken streak eggs oatmeal fruit vegetables tuna fish protein shakes smoothies jerky. I lost 10 lbs of fat by just cutting out breads in a month and doing T25, I got ripped. If your looking for healthy meal let me know, my wife only cooks healthy. God luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IMO you should be able to find prepackaged foods that aren't too high in calories, there are a lot of prepackaged foods that will not have too many calories for a guy, however it is low sodium that is more difficult to find. I believe the percent of daily sodium that is listed on label corresponds to the highest tolerable intake level that is considered to be healthy when the level of healthy sodium intake is much lower. I think the labels are listed as a diet containing 2400 mg of sodium when the healthy level is around 1400 mg. I would checkout the Healthy choice, Smart Ones, and Lean Cuisine meals and then supplement with other foods.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Healthy Choice has some goods one for store bought.

Along the lines of what buzz mc said, get a Le Creuset or something similar (you can get them at Ross and such for not too much). Great for chickens, roasts, pork chops w/ sauerkraut, etc.

Ditto on the chicken, buy a whole one, stick it in the pot, throw in some onions and beer (Sapporo is good with chicken) and bake it at mediumish temperature for a couple of hours. That's a couple pounds of protein with great gravy and the longer you cook it, the more tender it gets. Make sure and leave the lid on, we use a Le Cruset (sp?), that's one of the best things that we got.

You can make 4 or 5 meals worth at once.

Another thing I found are called Caveman bars, they're paleo-diet things, I'm not a adherent to the diet, but Sam's Club has them for like $20 for 20. They taste good and one or two will hold me over for a while. Only bad thing is that they melt and get gooey easy.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site