Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts

You have found what looks like a great spring

I have found what looks to be a real special spring with a ton of potential. The road hasn't been used in probably 5-10 years and you have to hike a mile into this spring. I saw this spot and after seeing a doe in the area I think there are some good bucks using this spring. I haven't gotten up to it yet because I ran out of time yesterday to get up to it to set a trail camera. So here is my question:

I have found this great spring and have a really good feeling about it, but It is in the low country of thick pinion and juniper trees so glassing a buck would be by luck in most cases. Would you hang around the spring for a morning and evening hunt one day to see what comes in?

Note*: this spring is about a mile, mile and a half from where I hunt up high and see tons of bucks, but it's far enough and sees less pressure because of the hike in and terrain.

Thanks guys
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Put a trail cam on it. Sounds like a good spot
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Put a trail cam on it. Sounds like a good spot
    Can't get back in there until the day before season. I guess I could put it up that day and check it midway through the hunt and see what moved through.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Did the spring have good tracks around it? That would tell you a lot. I'd think a secluded water source like that sounds promising.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    id focus on the spring in the heat of the day, 1-5pm. if it has tracks around it as libid said it could be your new hot spot. deer wont come to their water source every day like elk do if they don't have to. if ya give that spot a solid 3-4 days you will have something come in. a cam will show ya this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    id focus on the spring in the heat of the day, 1-5pm. if it has tracks around it as libid said it could be your new hot spot. deer wont come to their water source every day like elk do if they don't have to. if ya give that spot a solid 3-4 days you will have something come in. a cam will show ya this.
    I haven't got to the spring yet. Yesterday I ran out of time. So I guess my plan is to set it in the middle of the day on the 9th, and check it the middle of the day of the 12th. I hunt until the 17th so I would have plenty of days to sit.

If these deer are like the other ones I have hunted and have scouted, they water every 2-4 days and only come in from 5-9 am and 5-8pm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    Did the spring have good tracks around it? That would tell you a lot. I'd think a secluded water source like that sounds promising.
    I haven't got to it yet. But I have no doubt deer are using it based on my experience hunting this area. Just wondering what other hunters would do with a spot like this in their pocket

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Check for tracks/sign and get a camera in there as soon as you can if it looks good, even if it's for the first few days of your hunt.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to packer58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Set up a camera, and if you see a good buck during daylight within a week, sit it religiously dawn to dusk for several days. Blind hunting can be hell, but with faith and patience, you stand a better chance of killing a mature buck.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    a lot of guys stop glassing and assume deer and elk are bedded all afternoon escaping the heat, and they often don't get the chance to see any movement during the heat. although true, they still get restless and thirsty during those hot days. I hope you found yourself a new spot to let ikeepitcold kill a buck off of....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post: