Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

Backpack fit and setup

I've packed with a 40lb pack or so before but nothing heavier and not while hunting. This year I am planning to pack in for a 1-2 night hunt if plan A doesn't work.

So, I've been trying to test out a Stone Glacier Terminus that I'm planning to use and wanted to get feedback on if what I am experiencing is typical of a pack with heavier weights. I don't feel any issues until I get over 60lbs. Lately I've tried hiking a couple times with upwards of 80lbs. When I put this kind of weight on I feel hunched over, maybe 15 degrees from vertical, with all the weight pressing on my hips. When I walk I'm slightly hunched over and I can definitely feel the weight in my hip sockets. I don't feel any weight on my shoulders. The top of the shoulder strap doesn't even touch my shoulders.

Is this typical? Any recommendations on proper setup of a pack?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have you checked out the pack fitting video Curt has on Stone Glacier's website? He has a good video on there covering the fit of his packs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would recommend calling Stone Glacier and they can walk you through the correct setup and fit. I think the owner's name is Kurt. With 80 lbs there should not be a gap between your shoulders and the shoulder strap. You will probably want about 70-80% of the weight on your hips and 20-30% on your shoulders.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I looked at his video again and his pack care/fit section. Based on the picture in that section I probably didn't have the shoulder straps adjusted right causing about an 3/4 inch gap between the shoulder pad and my shoulder. I readjusted everything again and I'll have to see how it fits tomorrow.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 6 Posts
    Adjust the load lifters. Where is the weight on your pack?

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have watched there video but it doesn't really speak to is what I am feeling correct. I've also spoken with Kurt about this bag but I may have missed something. I know his video references that you want the shoulder strap to sit where the gray to black fabric transition should be about an inch to the front side of your shoulder. Maybe I'll try and call tomorrow and discuss with Kurt again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    If you still get no results, see if you can find someone that has David Longs hunting the high country video ,he shows in it how to properly adjust a pack, eberstock has one on youtube, also,I know you said yours is a glacier, but as long as they are packed right I would think they would all adjust the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by az.mountain runner View Post
    If you still get no results, see if you can find someone that has David Longs hunting the high country video ,he shows in it how to properly adjust a pack, eberstock has one on youtube, also,I know you said yours is a glacier, but as long as they are packed right I would think they would all adjust the same.
    Principles are same, adjustments are different

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good deal, SG makes a good pack. Glad you got the fit right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a SG Solo. I have it fit very balanced as far as hips and shoulders. I seem to be little wimpier than some in the ability to carry most of the weight on my hips. When I get really heavy(over 60 for me), I can adjust the weight from my hips to my shoulders while walking by adjusting my posture periodically. I doubt if this is the way you are supposed to do it, but it works for me. After talking with Curt, he said I could probably do well with the 3 PC belt and a slight adjustment in the belt height.