Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 5 Posts
    I know what you are going through It took me a few hikes with a full load to get my Kifaru just about right. I would guess that I am running about 80% hips and 20% lightly on the shoulders. There are so many adjustment that you can shift the weight from the lumbar pad to the hips to the shoulders and vise versa. Also adjusting the weight with the load lifters and how the pack is packed makes a huge difference. I like packing mine with the heavier things closer to the body and higher in the pack. I am probably going to do one more adjustment to shift a little weight to the side of the hips. I have been on about 20 full pack hikes since I bought it and this will probably be the last adjustment. Full compression also makes a big difference with the heavier loads. After this last adjustment I will probably start trimming a few straps.

I believe that BB has tested and or used the pack you have. He might have some insight for you.
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-28-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    We'll I readjusted everything based on Kurt's video and pack fit section. I definitely have a more comfortable fit but I need to go walk in a bit more than around the yard. Based on my conversation with Kurt I think I also need to play a little more with the shoulder strap positions and load lifters to see if I can get a balance I like.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Any luck with the adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    We'll I readjusted everything based on Kurt's video and pack fit section. I definitely have a more comfortable fit but I need to go walk in a bit more than around the yard. Based on my conversation with Kurt I think I also need to play a little more with the shoulder strap positions and load lifters to see if I can get a balance I like.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Any luck with the adjustments?
    I did a little more walking with my pack yesterday, but I still need to do more. I'm hoping Sunday I'll get the time needed to do a longer walk. It definetely feels better so far, but I may need to get used to adjusting the shoulder straps and load suspension to adjust the weight some as I walk.....not sure yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    W2H,
    This morning I went for my weekly full pack +10 hike. Before I went I consciously went through the process I go through putting my pack on and adjusting it. Maybe it will help. First off before I started today you should know that when I get through with each trek I loosen the load lifters, shoulder straps, and belt before I remove my pack as it is easier to remove the loaded pack and then put it back on.
    So with the load lifters, shoulder straps, and belt loose and the pack compressed as far as it will go I first put the pack on. Important to me since the pack adjustments are loose is to first make sure the center lumbar pad is in the correct left and right position. I lean foreword and wiggle the pack to make sure lumbar pad is in that correct left and right position on the lower back. I then clip the belt and tighten it to about 80%. I then stand up straight and adjust the shoulder straps. To do this I do it in two steps. First I turn slightly to the left and adjust (tighten) the left shoulder strap so it is making contact with the front of the shoulder but leaving about a thumb width of space between the back of the shoulder and the shoulder strap. I then repeat the same sequence on the right shoulder. Now I turn facing foreword and the lower lumbar pad will be slightly lower than I want it. At this point I just hop up a little and tighten the belt at the same time. This locks the lumbar pad at the right height. Now the shoulder straps might feel a little loose so I snug them up just a little I mean very little. Once I feel that I am loaded at between 75-80% of the weight on the belt and between 20-25% on the shoulders Then making sure I am standing straight up I then adjust the load lifters a little to pull the weight up & foreword towards my back. Then I am ready to roll. Hopefully this will help out a little. Mark

One more thing After about a mile or so I normally do a little fine tuning on the adjustments as things start to settle in a little.
    Last edited by 25contender; 07-31-2014 at 07:34 AM. Reason: More info.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    W2H,

25C's technique is pretty similar to what I do. It sounds like you had a little longer torso adjustment than SG recommends originally, but you may have shortened it a tad now? That could have been causing your issues.

Pack fit definitely varies a little bit due to user preference and build too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    W2H,

25C's technique is pretty similar to what I do. It sounds like you had a little longer torso adjustment than SG recommends originally, but you may have shortened it a tad now? That could have been causing your issues.

Pack fit definitely varies a little bit due to user preference and build too.
    BB,
    So far it appears that the biggest adjustment was I had the pack set for a longer torso as you mentioned and I shortened mine. Hopefully Sunday I can get out for a bit longer hike then around my yard.

Mark's adjustment process seems similar to how I do it, but I'm gonna pay extra attention next time I put the pack on and see if I can do anything different.....and definitely do a 1 mile adjustment as needed.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Managed to get out last night with my pack for a 2 mile walk. With the adjusted torso position and synching up my straps to allow for a 80/20 weight split between my waist and shoulders things were much better.

Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.