Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post

Wyoming Unit 79-deer (archery)

I'm making my first trip out west on a mule deer/cow elk archery hunt the first week of Sept. I spent countless hours researching the area before I opted to land a unit 79 leftover tag. I'm aware of the well publicized herd problems.

I've stared at the maps to the point of going crazy, and I have a game plan (actually there are two of us and we have a game plan). We aren't going to be overly picky. I would likely shoot most any buck that is on his 2nd rack or bigger.

There is a bunch of heavy timber in 79, and I wondered if anybody had any tips for bowhunting it or any other advise they felt like giving just because I am a nice guy.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 6 Posts
    I grew up in Laramie- I didn't hunt much in 79 but I do have some experience in the area. If I was going September 1st I would focus on the area immediately past Lake Marie, just into area 79 on highway 130. You can get above timber line and have an opportunity to spot and stalk deer. It is very beautiful country! Bring your fishing pole as the fishing will be great in the high lakes and streams that time of year. As far as hunting the timber with a bow... its just plain hard. With low populations and the inability to glass long range you will have a hard time finding a lot of deer. In your shoes I would focus up high first and then try mid range clear cuts for glassing. 1 to 3 year old clear cuts really attract deer. Good luck....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist View Post
    There is a bunch of heavy timber in 79, and I wondered if anybody had any tips for bowhunting it or any other advise they felt like giving just because I am a nice guy.
    Don't pass any 195 bucks, I would definitely shoot the first 180 I saw. :P
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Don't pass any 195 bucks, I would definitely shoot the first 180 I saw. :P
    Lol, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I grew up in Laramie- I didn't hunt much in 79 but I do have some experience in the area. If I was going September 1st I would focus on the area immediately past Lake Marie, just into area 79 on highway 130. You can get above timber line and have an opportunity to spot and stalk deer. It is very beautiful country! Bring your fishing pole as the fishing will be great in the high lakes and streams that time of year. As far as hunting the timber with a bow... its just plain hard. With low populations and the inability to glass long range you will have a hard time finding a lot of deer. In your shoes I would focus up high first and then try mid range clear cuts for glassing. 1 to 3 year old clear cuts really attract deer. Good luck....
    I would second this. I hunted this area when it was a region D tag, and it is great country up there. You will see elk as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the help guys. My buck is the first one and my brother's is the other one. We didn't shoot big deer, but for our first ever western hunt and with archery equipment to boot, we were thrilled with the results. We didn't get in to many elk, I think the activity from Labor Day weekend (atv'ers, etc.) had n effect on the elk.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Congratulations to shootist For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Impressive for your first western hunt. Even better considering you used archery equipment. congrats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Awesome work Shootist!!!! Congrats.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Congrats! Way to get it done.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Is that one guy or are you twins? Congrats on a good trip!