Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

wyoming elk unit 25-27?

though i have an idea of the terrian in these units,if anybody has any info or expieriance ,Id like to hear from them,Im planning on hitting unit 27 up high first on oct 1st opener if weather stays warm?anybody with any migration pattern info would be apprieciated,I know unit 100 to the south is also a good unit ,and 24 to the east also good,,maybe some may drift over into unit 25 or 27?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    even anybody out there that has hunted any units bordering mine would be great,,,unit 99,,28,,24,,100,,would be helpful///thanks.

3. The Following User Says Congratulations to ore hunter For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    beins this is just bordering unit 100 to the north,im thinkin maybe some elk might not know the border and cross over? appers to be fairly open country,,any help out there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    how do you think the roads will be by october 1st?im gonna pack chains for all 4 but am debating between 50% mud tas or 90% all seasons,,if it gets gummy the all seasons will ball up?is the soil sandy in the south pass area or is it the bentonite type of goey clay?all depends on moisture of course.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    It looks like nobody has hunted the areas and you're talking to yourself! Roads can vary to dry one hour and impassable a few hours later with a little rain or snow, so you're correct in being prepared for all possibilities!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks top gun,,done as much searching as i can find and apparently ill have to wait till i get my boots on the ground there,,,nobody wants to talk to me about wyom 25/27 elk areas.youll know me as d k from hunt talk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    I've never even seen any mention on a forum about that elk area. I wish ya the best of luck though!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    they draw 200 elk tags a year there the last few years,,,theres gotta be somebody out there thats drawn it before,,beins its next to unit 100 and unit 24,Im hoping for the best.thanks cobb hunts,,this unit just doesnt have alot of information i can find about it,,ive done about all i can investigate untill i get out there on my hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    I've never even seen any mention on a forum about that elk area. I wish ya the best of luck though!!
    I haven't either and I'm on quite a few sites!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't hunted there before at all, sorry. I have seen elk coming up from Lander over South pass. I remember looking at the regs and saw it wasn't general and cursing. They weren't very far off the highway. That would probably be where I started looking (South Pass to the east of the highway). I can't remember what time of year it was. As far as soil goes, it varies a lot, but the benches and higher areas tend to be sandier with some clay, and the river beds tend to be silty. Silt doesn't really gum up or stick too bad, it is the bentonite and clay that generally do that. The Red Desert probably has more bentonite spots, but I would guess they are spotty and could be avoided. They are pretty obvious when you see the spots that don't grow anything and just look like grey toothpaste. I personally rarely use chains because I hate tearing up roads like that. It surely doesn't hurt to have them for sure. Plus I tend to go into the mountains which tend to be rockier and aren't too bad to get around in even with some snow. South pass flats I would say would be sandier in general, but I am sure there are gummy spots to prove me wrong. The Red Desert area (100) was famous for some monsters, but a few years ago the herd got into some feed that killed a lot of them. I am not sure that they have recovered, but I am sure there are some good ones in that area. I don't know a lot about the area, but at least it was some response, sorry about that. Driving through it is a lot of sagebrush and open country with the exception of South Pass with benches, draws, gullies, etc. that are good places to look. There are spots of timber stands, especially the closer you get to some water. As far as migration, I really have no clue, sorry. I think there are elk all through that general area with quite a bit of public land, its just that the land doesn't support a whole lot of animals so they don't give out a whole lot of tags I think.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 08-19-2014 at 10:04 PM.