Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

236y maury elk #2 in oregon

I pulled a maury #2 elk tag this year,,,a unit with a fair amount of private' areas,,,though some nat forest and blm to the eastern edge,,any tips would be grateful,2nd season starts 11-8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I've never hunted that unit, I have hunted the unit east of there a lot though.

I would look for the largest area without roads on the north slopes of the unit to start with and hunt there.
    With it being second season hope for snow, if you get snow take a day and drive around and look for tracks, try to find a single. Singles will be easier to get on then any bull in a group will likely be bigger than a bull in a group. If you find one don't give up on it, stay on it till you kill it or it goes on private.
    Hunt the entire season! Often second season gets better toward the end of season as most hunters give up within 5 days.
    If you can take a trip there when the first season is going and see where the hunting pressure is, the elk will go where there is the least pressure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a felling that the relatively small portion of national forest will be hunted hard,and that leaves only the more open blm area on the east end of the unit left for public,,,I was thinkin that might be the best area to start at?thanks timber stalker.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Look in the BLM near the private green fields. I've seen some huge herds in the fields while antelope hunting and know for a fact they head onto the BLM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think that will be what i start out with,,,if anybody has any ideas on the small portion of national forest area,any info would be a big help/thanks.looks like all the private is locked up by battle creek outfitters,,signs heavily posted.im only hunting the public portions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Look in the BLM near the private green fields. I've seen some huge herds in the fields while antelope hunting and know for a fact they head onto the BLM."

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner. They come down off the private land ridges where they bed to feed in the alfalfa fields and drink at the creeks. There are a few east west running creek drainages south of Alfalfa road and 27. A couple of them have small blm patches the elk have to cross to feed on the big alfalfa fields. Find those and stay on em. Works for antelope too.

Take enough gun or you might find yourself asking ranchers to let you on to find your wounded animal. Here's one from one of those drainages 7 yrs ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0774.jpg  
    Last edited by lucky guy; 08-10-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was over there last weekend but didnt get into any elk lookin around,,,both high in the national forest and out on the blm,,,hopefully the sign changes by november.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Things should change a little for you in November, it has been super warm and dry for a long time. Once we get some weather the elk should move around more. Like I mentioned in my first post, pray for some snow on your hunt, I think that would really help you out. Right now the elk are likely near the private or on private where there is more food and especially water. Main thing is, hunt every day of season all day, you should find elk if you do that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I wonder if some elk may migrate that direction out of the ochoco's or silvies by then out to the blm desert areas?