Thread: Cow elk area 10

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cow elk area 10

Picked up a reduced price cow tag first time elk hunting figured it's a good way to get my feet wet elk hunting and fill the freezer. Looks like there's some public land to hunt wondering if the elk hang around that public land or once hunting kicks in they all head to the private ground. Any advice would be helpful and extremely appreciated. Thanks a lot

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    When are you planning on hunting? I hunted 10 the last couple of years. I live right next to it. I can give you advice, I just need to know when your going.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    You should also look into the HMA ranch in 10. That can be pretty productive for cows.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will also be hunting 10 for a cow. I will help you out with any info I get as well. Any tips will be great.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well the season runs from Aug 15th thru Dec 31st. It's private land only from the opener thru Sept 30th, the rest of the season it's open throughout the whole unit. The Strouss hill HMA does not open until Nov 1st, so if you plan on hunting in October you can't hunt the HMA. If you plan on hunting in Nov/Dec, you should apply for the HMA permission slip. The HMA is all weather dependent, 2 years ago there was elk all over the place, last year there was just enough snow to push the elk down off the mountains, but not enough as the elk stayed in the fringe of private between the national forest and the HMA. One thing also is if you want to hunt archery, you can hunt the entire unit with a bow in the month of September. There is a lot of National Forest to hunt. You guys can PM with the dates you plan on hunting and I'll help. I will be hunting 10 for my general tag and also the cow tag.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the replies I did Get a permission slip and planned on trying is out first part of Oct Im going Muley hunting up in region F for ten days on first of Nov If I get super lucky and Tag a Muley ill cruise down there and Elk hunt to. That will prob not happen but one can hope but Its good to know theres elk there at least. Thanks again to everyone for the advise I live in ND long drive expensive tags so this is a great resource.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=Hunt24/7;106850]Thanks for all the replies I did Get a permission slip and planned on trying is out first part of Oct Im going Muley hunting up in region F for ten days on first of Nov If I get super lucky and Tag a Muley ill cruise down there and Elk hunt to. That will prob not happen but one can hope but Its good to know theres elk there at least. Thanks again to everyone for the advise I live in ND long drive expensive tags so this is a great resource.[/QU

The NF ground will hold more of the elk that time of the year, but there's a chance you could find one down low.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The permission slip is only valid after Nov 1st. If your coming early October, you will have to hunt the national forest. Have you gotten maps for the unit yet? When you want to go over specifics you can PM me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    [QUOTE=HiMtnHnter;106878]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt24/7 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies I did Get a permission slip and planned on trying is out first part of Oct Im going Muley hunting up in region F for ten days on first of Nov If I get super lucky and Tag a Muley ill cruise down there and Elk hunt to. That will prob not happen but one can hope but Its good to know theres elk there at least. Thanks again to everyone for the advise I live in ND long drive expensive tags so this is a great resource.[/QU

The NF ground will hold more of the elk that time of the year, but there's a chance you could find one down low.
    I agree with you... Not only is the permission slip not valid until November 1st, the hunting down there won't be very good until later anyways. If you are hunting early, I recommend going up high...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've got this tag as well, but I don't anticipate getting out to hunt this unit until Thanksgiving or close to Christmas. I'm in Laramie too but this is my first time hunting elk in this unit. I'll contribute whatever info I can find out and give updates on what I see when I'm hunting.

Best of luck to everyone else!
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.