Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    http://www.eastmans.com/forum/showth...Techniques****

In case you couldnt find it. 25 did a great job with the video, but I only do the knot right around the ankle rather than doing it all the way up. I also wrap laces behind my leg just above my ankle to help keep it locked in.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    A boot with heel lock lacing is a must for me, if you can find some boots with this, it should help with heel lift. Do you have an REI local? They have a great selection of hiking boots, and ussually some people working there that do alot of hiking (probably don't ask about hunting though).

Last year, I started doing alot of hunting in Saloman hiking boots (Quest 4d GTX), and they have been awesome. They are similar to the mountain boots I used in AFG. Now I only go to my Meindls when it is pretty cold out. If you do switch to a lower hiking style boot, definately get a good set of gaitors to keep things dry in dew and water crossings. I hiked through some pretty significant snow and and crossed some streams this last spring bear hunting in MT and my feet stayed good and dry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mnhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We don't have an REI that I'm aware of. I just found out that there's a good "hiking" outfitter in the city north of me. I'm going to check them out this weekend hopefully. Maybe they will have an answer. Thanks MN!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There are some good lacing videos on You Tube
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    I almost feel like I should just get me some new combat boots. I've put 100s of miles on a couple of pairs of Corcoran II jump boots. With no issues.
    Good Idea! Most of my hunting since I was in has been in my combat boots.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I saw someone else mention Irish Setter boots, I own a pair of Irish Setter Elk Tracker in 600 gram for my cold weather, or heavy snow cover boot and absolutely love them. Much more comfortable than the Danner Pronghorns I own, which tore me up pretty good last year on a pack out. Lost a toe nail due to them, but than may be due to the fact they are 1/2 a size smaller than the Irsih Setters.
    Check out the Irish Setter web site, the Elk Trackers run 0,200,600 and 1000 grams and run about $250 a pair. Their sizes and width seems to run true to size. I will defintely buy another pair when these wear out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 11C50 View Post
    I saw someone else mention Irish Setter boots, I own a pair of Irish Setter Elk Tracker in 600 gram for my cold weather, or heavy snow cover boot and absolutely love them. Much more comfortable than the Danner Pronghorns I own, which tore me up pretty good last year on a pack out. Lost a toe nail due to them, but than may be due to the fact they are 1/2 a size smaller than the Irsih Setters.
    Check out the Irish Setter web site, the Elk Trackers run 0,200,600 and 1000 grams and run about $250 a pair. Their sizes and width seems to run true to size. I will defintely buy another pair when these wear out.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check those out. Times up for this year so I'm keeping the Danners. I went and purchased some good liners and all problems seem to have been taking care of. I've probably got close to 50 miles on them now with no problems. Good wool socks and good liners. Thanks for all of the help everyone!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I've had four pairs of the Elk Trackers 1000 gram for winter here and love them. I tried something different last year and got the 800 gram Pronghorns, nice and light, but they don't fit real well. Got some Kenetreks for my muley hunt this year and all I can say is WOW! Awesome boots so far, probably gonna get a pair for work next year!