Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fishing while elk hunting?

So Colorado issued a fishing license with my elk tag this year. Going to be backpacking into the flat top wilderness area for 5 days to hunt first rifle season. Does anybody ever try to catch fish to supplement the food they have to carry? Good/Bad idea? What type of gear and bait do you use? Do you have to wrastle the bears to keep your catch? And if so how big are the bears?

Just kidding. Any advice on what to use or if this is even a good idea would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The biggest black bear I ever saw was in the flattops he was as stressed about the encounter as I was !!!!!
    Don't think you are going to have to worry about that aspect.

Don't know about the fishing as I am usually trying to catch a nap if not glassing or hiking.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    10-4 on the nap! All that glassing and hiking makes me hungry and tired.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I make it a point to fish during every elk hunt. I love fresh trout... you can catch brook trout with a line and stick. Pack in line, small hooks, and something to dig up earth worms. They are thick next to the creeks usually. You can also catch them on flies/ little jigs/ grass hoppers... just about anything. They are hungry and usually really easy to catch.

Between fish, small game, and grouse, you can really provide some great camp meals IMO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I always carry a small plastic box containing hooks, split shot, lures & mono line in it. I also carry rubber grasshoppers, mayflies, etc made by Burkes. They are great and usually do the job.

Fresh caught small stream trout grilled or fried are wonderful eating.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I make it a point to fish during every elk hunt. I love fresh trout... you can catch brook trout with a line and stick. Pack in line, small hooks, and something to dig up earth worms. They are thick next to the creeks usually. You can also catch them on flies/ little jigs/ grass hoppers... just about anything. They are hungry and usually really easy to catch.

Between fish, small game, and grouse, you can really provide some great camp meals IMO.
    I'm assuming you need a separate license to take small game / birds while out elk hunting? do you pack in a shotgun with you?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brushcreek View Post
    I'm assuming you need a separate license to take small game / birds while out elk hunting? do you pack in a shotgun with you?
    Yes you do need a separate permit. Most of my hunts are archery... I keep an arrow or two with judo points. Sharp tail & Blue Grouse can be pretty stupid but they are second to none as game bird table fare goes. They are good enough to justify the permit money in my book... Snow shoe hares are also excellent eating.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the input! I will look up some of those lures and make myself a little trekking stick fishing pole and see what I can catch. I would think that after a couple days of eating dried food that a little fresh trout would go a long way.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I love to fly fish and take a fly rod and a box of flies on almost every western hunt. I've carried that fly rod all over various wilderness areas in Colorado. I've used it exactly one time and that was for less than an hour. Ill leave it at home from now on. I'm there to hunt and feel that there are more productive things to do with my time that are hunting related.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll bring a rod when hunting with a group. If I shoot an elk early then I have the option of drowning a worm. Otherwise I find I lug a rod around and never put it to use.
    Brave Rifles & Toujours Pret!