Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I love both of mine. I went to high school with Ed Weatherby and used to spend a lot of time at the South Gate store too. I alluded to the learning curve reloading for my Wbys. The factory guns have lots of freebore. I had to do a lot of experimenting with oal length of the reloaded round to get them to shoot like the factory stuff, which by the way are very good, but way too pricey!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 29 Times in 3 Posts
    I'd look at Roy's favorite round, the .257. I had all kinds of heck with the accuracy of my Accumark, but sent it back and the found that only the 100gr spire point would group <1" out of their factory offerings.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1 for 257wby.
    I wound up with a 25-06 on my last acquisition but wish I would have waited and found a WBY.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHunterJake View Post
    +1 for 257wby.
    I wound up with a 25-06 on my last acquisition but wish I would have waited and found a WBY.
    I have both .25-05 & .257 Wby and like them both. The Wby was a fairly recent purchase and I've only had it a couple of years. Like I earlier posted, took me awhile to dial in a load for it. It shoots 100 gr bullets pretty well and I did shoot an antelope in Wyoming with it in 2012 at 350 yds or so. I've had my 25-06 for over 40 years and it is my favorite, go to gun. It's performance with my reloads is really close to the Wby.....within 100 fps, so it makes it hard for me to change. My son uses my Wby and is making noises about wanting it, so it will probably end up in his collection.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    I would definitely look at the 257 Weatherby, one of my favorite guns to use from elk to antelope!
    PSE X Force Axe
    Sword Sight
    Ripcord Rest
    Easton FMJ

Savage 270WSM
    Weatherby 257 Magnum
    Remington .204
    Ruger 7x57

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    I have a Mark V accumark in .270 Winchester, and I love that rifle. It shoots lights out.

If it was me, and based off of the calibers you are looking at, I would also consider the 7mm Rem Mag. Same great BC with your bullet, much more selection of ammo, and you aren't giving much up in performance. Now from a cool factor the Weatherby Mags are pretty sweet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    You can always go all out and get the .30-378. Hunted with a guy that head shot an antelope at 300 yards. The carnage was something else.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    You can always go all out and get the .30-378. Hunted with a guy that head shot an antelope at 300 yards. The carnage was something else.
    Had a friend with a .30-378 that he whitetail hunted with. It was ridiculous haha!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Had a friend with a .30-378 that he whitetail hunted with. It was ridiculous haha!
    As far as big game goes, I don't believe to much in the "overgunned" concept when it comes to the terminal effects. Shot placement seems to have a bigger effect on damage than caliber. With that said, I do believe a shooter can be overmatched with hard recoiling magnums resulting in poor shooting technique and ultimately poor shot placement. .25-06 is perfect medicine for whitetails.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    As far as big game goes, I don't believe to much in the "overgunned" concept when it comes to the terminal effects. Shot placement seems to have a bigger effect on damage than caliber. With that said, I do believe a shooter can be overmatched with hard recoiling magnums resulting in poor shooting technique and ultimately poor shot placement. .25-06 is perfect medicine for whitetails.
    Agree 100%!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker