Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

And the winner is weatherby!

Hello fellow hunters, after much research, my next deer rifle will be the Weatherby Mark V Range Certified. The next decision is what caliber. I am leaning toward a 7MM Weatherby Mag, or the 270 Weatherby Mag. I hope to be hunting Elk, Mule Deer, and Antelope for years to come. I will admit, I'm trying to set up one gun for all species. Not even sure its possible. Will you gun experts please give me some advice. Your honest opinion is wanted and valued. I need to take a breather before deciding on a scope. I liked the Kimber Montana also but feel the Weatherby is a better gun. Go ahead, give it to me straight. FORD#1

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Man....you're talking my language!!! I love me some Weatherby. I don't own one however. The ammo prices scared me off and I ended up building my .270 WSM. Now its high as a kite too.

When I was looking and researching the WBY carts....I had it narrowed down to the .257 and .270 WBYs. Even though I really wanted the .240 WBY as well. I just chickened out and built me a rifle. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the two you like.

For the money however....you could take a look at IKeepItCold's set up and pay for it with savings you'll make on ammo price variances between the WBY ammo, and standard 7mm or .300 WIN Mag. Good luck with your decision. I still love the WBYs, and will own a .257 or .240 one day. And I guess of the two you mentioned, I would go with the .270 WBY. Enjoy it!!!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't own one, but they are nice rifles. You can get those in non-weatherby calibers as well so it wouldn't sting as bad when buying ammo / brass.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    If you buy one and want to reload, there are some things that you should know. I reload for .257 & .300 Wbys and I learned a lot about loading them that is a little different from regular calibers. PM me anytime.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I'm sure no expert but I've had a .300 Weatherby for many years and love it. I'd be hard pressed to pick between the 2 calibers that you are considering though. My quick choice would be the 7mm but you won't be wrong with either one. I do think you made a good decision to go with the Weatherby over the Kimber, based on my experiences with both.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like Weatherby, too. My old hand-me down 30-06 is a Weatherby from the early 70's. It still shoots great. I have used it for everything like you said. My experience with their customer service was really good, too. I am not a gun expert, but I think Weatherby is a good brand. http://www.weatherby.com/product/rif...kv/accumark_rc . There is lots of discussion about it, but like libiditimmy said, the other non Weatherby calibers would be fine and are more common for finding ammo. My dad has a .340 Wby mag and between the shoulder pain and the ammo prices, it doesn't get out much.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think Weatherby builds a fine rifle but I have never owned one. I really appreciate the fact that the Mark V is built in the USA also. I have a friend who has a 300 Weatherby in a Remington rifle and he really likes that cartridge. That might be one to consider on the critters you listed. The .270 and 7mm Weatherby are pretty sweet too but brass can be hard to find.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    When I was a kid, my dad used to take me to Weatherby's store in South Gate. The store had a huge polar bear at the entrance. Weatherby was once the gold standard. I'm not sure if there is a gold standard rnow. Computer aided manufacturing has done wonders for rifle production. I have a friend who bought a Remington promotional rifle in .270 Win. That rifle would shoot under an inch all day long with factory ammo.

I have a friend who has killed a whole lot of big game with a Mark V .300 Wby including an Alaskan griz. When recoil became an issue, he went to a Mark V .270 Wby. I have fired a lot of big caliber rifles off a bench. I'm right up front with my admitting that the 7MM Rem Mag is the biggest gun that I'm comfortable shooting off a bench.

I think you've made an excellent choice going with a Weatherby. I'm sure that either a .270 Wby or a 7MM Wby will reliably anchor big game for you. I might suggest that if you're going to do a lot of larger game hunting, the 7MM Wby might be a better choice. 175 grain .284 caliber bullets travel a long way and penetrate very deeply.

BTW, the last time I was in Bass Pro Rancho Cucamonga, CA, I about choked on prices of factory Weatherby ammo. But if you reload, I am completely confident that Colorado Cowboy will get you steered in the right direction.

I wish you absolute best of luck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    I don't own one, but they are nice rifles. You can get those in non-weatherby calibers as well so it wouldn't sting as bad when buying ammo / brass.
    This is an excellent idea. Maybe a 7MM Rem Mag, which is very close to the 7MM Wby, or a .270 Win.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Colorado,

I read a guide's Website about a hunter -one of the guides, I believe, who killed a huge bull at a very long distance with a 257 Wby. My friend who owned a Mark V 300 Wby and went with a Mark V .270 Wby said he darn near went with a .257 Wby.