Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I will throw in my vote for the .300 Wby Mag. The calibers you listed are fine rounds but I would lean towards the .300 for heavier bullets, even for the lighter critters. The ability to shoot flat and buck the wind is high on my priority list and I think the faster heavier bullets will do that for you.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

2. The Following User Says Thank You to D.Turvey, Jr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Also mule deer, Antelope, elk, and small bear. IMO I refer to the 25-06. I shoot 7mm now but will go back to the 25-06.
    Last edited by xtreme; 08-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    7mm rem mag you wont be disappointed

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    Also mule deer, Antelope, elk, and small bear. IMO I refer to the 25-06. I shoot 7mm now but will go back to the 25-06.
    I know a guy that uses the .25-06 for elk and has success. I personally prefer my .300wm for elk. Would have no worries shooting anything smaller than an elk with a .25-06.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    You can always go all out and get the .30-378. Hunted with a guy that head shot an antelope at 300 yards. The carnage was something else.
    I know a fella that had a Weatherby in .270 Winchester. He got his deer & antelope every year. He traded it off for yet another Weatherby (Vanguard?) I think, in .300Winchester magnum. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. It was a flinch (recoil) problem I told him after watching him target shoot. He didn't listen, traded that off on a ...Ready?.... .30/.338 Weatherby.
    I ran into him several years later on an antelope hunt....he was packing yet another Weatherby Mk V....in 30/06!
    Finally learned a real expensive lesson on being over-gunned...the new rifle also had a brake & a Limb-saver pad. Like Clint Eastwood said..."A man has to know his limitations".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I currently own two and have owned a few others. If you want one caliber to do about everything I'd lean 7 wby mag or 300 wby myself. Some would disagree but that's what route I'd go. You'll be happy whatever route you go with a mark v action. If you don't reload the 300 is available from hornady still expensive but cheaper than weatherby factory. I'm still actively looking for a German made .224 wby varmiter if I'm lucky I'll find one I like. Good luck on the new rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    The factory guns have lots of freebore.
    I was very happy to see someone brought this up.

I'd avoid Weatherby. They're overrated and overpriced... and excessive freebore is a bigger problem than most may think.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I was very happy to see someone brought this up.

... and excessive freebore is a bigger problem than most may think.
    My .300 is a custom commercial Mauser action and a new match Shilen SS barrel. I threw out all the reloading data and basically started from scratch on load development. My .257 is a Wby MkV and is total factory and again it was starting from scratch and harder than the .300 to get it to shoot. Finally got it done tho.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    My .300 is a custom commercial Mauser action and a new match Shilen SS barrel. I threw out all the reloading data and basically started from scratch on load development. My .257 is a Wby MkV and is total factory and again it was starting from scratch and harder than the .300 to get it to shoot. Finally got it done tho.
    Not throwing you under the bus CC and/or 307 but that is why Weatherby recommends shooting Weatherby ammo. A buddy and I tried reloading for both my 257 and my 338-378 and could never match factory ballistics or accuracy. However, he loads for his 300 Wby and it is great. The factory stuff is expensive but worth the cost in my mind. Both of my rifles are MK-V Accumarks and I've killed a crapload of game with both of them.

Getting back to question posed... I'd go with Dan on this one; the .300 WBY is very tough to beat and is a great "one gun" fix. If I only owned one rifle that would likely be it. But I've never subscribed to the "beware the man with one gun" crap. In my experience you show me a man that only owns one gun and I'll show you a man that doesn't care enough about guns to be proficient with it.

Soap box relinquished!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Not throwing you under the bus CC and/or 307 but that is why Weatherby recommends shooting Weatherby ammo. A buddy and I tried reloading for both my 257 and my 338-378 and could never match factory ballistics or accuracy. However, he loads for his 300 Wby and it is great. The factory stuff is expensive but worth the cost in my mind. Both of my rifles are MK-V Accumarks and I've killed a crapload of game with both of them.

Getting back to question posed... I'd go with Dan on this one; the .300 WBY is very tough to beat and is a great "one gun" fix. If I only owned one rifle that would likely be it. But I've never subscribed to the "beware the man with one gun" crap. In my experience you show me a man that only owns one gun and I'll show you a man that doesn't care enough about guns to be proficient with it.

Soap box relinquished!
    When I rebarreled the .300, my 'smith and I talked about the freebore on the factory rifles and decided to go with less than what Weatherby does on theirs. Once I got it dialed in, my loads are better than factory....and a whole lot cheaper. Same thing with the .257, I get as good or better performance than the factory stuff and again a lot less $$$!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley